Skip to main content
Solved

Can I change my IHD from an IHD3 to IHD6?

• 26 November 2023
  • 6 replies

I was looking for information on how to reset the budget on my IHD. Looking at the OVO website I find that the policy appears to be to fit the IHD6 but I have an IHD3 even though it was fitted a couple of months ago. There appear to be a lot more useful features on the IHD6 which I want to use. I cant find out how to get the unit upgraded. Any suggestions please.

David

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @DJB67 

I an just a customer like you

You would have to purchase one unfortunately.

This is the one that seems to get the most recommendations on the forum

https://shop.glowmarkt.com/products/display-and-cad-combined-for-smart-meter-customers

This is an alternative which is basically a Chameleon IHD7.

https://ivie.co.uk/product/ivie-bud/?gclid=CjwKCAiA9ourBhAVEiwA3L5RFrdyDaoqOvDzm1Tits6J_AdNTewNnkx0HxEXeu2R3Q8tzNNhSrPpGxoCnkIQAvD_BwE

Both of these are better than the IHD6.

The only obligation under the legislation is that suppliers have to legally provide a working IHD for 12 months after the smart meter is installed. There is no obligation on the type of IHD. There is no obligation after 12 months.

From an environmental point of view it does make sense for suppliers to use up an any stock of IHD3 that is manufactured so it doesn't end up in landfill immediately.

That seems unfair as OVO are prpmoting ways to save energy and provide inferior IHD’s

Userlevel 7
Badge

There’s even a Black Friday deal for £10 off for the Ivie Bud, I see 😀

Meanwhile, you’ll find instructions for setting the budget on your IHD3 in the user manual. If you don’t have one, get it here: Smart In-Home Displays: User Guides and Frequently Asked Questions - Chameleon Technology

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That seems unfair as OVO are prpmoting ways to save energy and provide inferior IHD’s

The IHD is considered a free gift at most, so you don’t get to pick and choose what you get. Same with any and all free gifts from just about anywhere - it’s the discretion of the gift giver, not the recipient.

Also, while I do agree that the IHD6 is superior - I have two of them myself - it’s suffered from tons of stock issues and OVO seems to be just trying to get you whatever they can get hold of at the moment. They do try to target the Chameleon IHD6 or Geo Trio II over the IHD3, but alas it’s all about what they can get in.

You’re not entitled to force OVO to upgrade you to the IHD6 in these cases - the first IHD you get is the only one you get for free and this is the same across all suppliers.

When I had my smet2 meters fitted a year ago I was given an IHD6 which I was very happy with.  Unfortunately, my meters stopped sending in readings so they have just been replaced.  The engineer left me with an IHD3 paired to me new smet2s and my “old” IHD6 was “disconnected” and I was told to throw it away.  I assumed that I had been given the very latest IHD, but it turns out my “old” IHD6 was newer (and in my opinion so much better).  Is it possible to pair my IHD6 to my new meters so I can do away with the “new” IHD3?  Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Dave G ,

Yes, that may be possible but it’ll need to be reset first. Please have a word with OVO and they’ll help you out.