Solved

Landlord asked to email tenancy agreement but hello@ovoenergy.com bounced - how to contact OVO about this?

• 17 August 2022
  • 7 replies

I am the landlord of a property. I have received an email today asking for details regarding who is responsible for the energy bills as a previous tenant has left the property and new tenancy has commenced. However, on replying to the email it was bounced back as the email address given to me by OVO (hello@ovoenergy.com) is apparently not in use anymore. I can carry out a webchat however I am no 68 in the queue and then I am informed that web chat can not deal with the issue and I must contact OVO by phone.  I see no reason why I would spend my time or my money (ringing your 0330 number) if you can't send me the correct contact details for the information that you require. If you send me a valid email address I will send you the details you need

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 18 August 2022, 16:26

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @ChrisBrayson ,

The only option is to call 0330 303 5063 which costs no more than calling any other landline number - and if you’ve got inclusive minutes then they’ll cover 03 numbers too per Ofcom regulations.

OVO isn’t taking emails for certain queries anymore because it’s faster to do most things via phone or webchat. There’s no email address I can think of that will work.

If you’d rather not pay for the call (even though it’s usually free), you can use web chat to request a callback at OVO’s expense.

The wait time for the phone is 15 minutes when I rang today - I don’t have free calls. OVO asked me to respond by email as they require a scan of a tenancy agreement. They told me to send the message via hello@ovoenergy.com. Turns out that email address doesn’t work.  I don’t have 15 minutes to spare in my day just to accomodate OVO

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @ChrisBrayson

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like you. 

I have used the following freephone number today

0800 012 1232

You need to press 1 at the first prompt, else you are transferred to the OVO Home Plan operation. 

I can't obviously guarantee OVO won't change the prompts or redirection in the future. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The wait time for the phone is 15 minutes when I rang today - I don’t have free calls. OVO asked me to respond by email as they require a scan of a tenancy agreement. They told me to send the message via hello@ovoenergy.com. Turns out that email address doesn’t work.  I don’t have 15 minutes to spare in my day just to accomodate OVO

Hi @ChrisBrayson

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like you. 

If OVO has asked you to send them a scan of a document, you could send them a private message via the OVO Twitter account and attach a copy of the scan. I don't use Twitter for anything else, just for private messages to contact companies. OVO  have always replied the same day or next working day. It has always worked for me.

Include as much info as possible in the Private Message, including the text from the OVO email.

I can't obviously guarantee OVO won't still require a phone call, but at least it means you have given them a scan of the tenancy agreement which is what they have asked for.

It is an option anyway given the issue with the email. 

Hi @Jeffus 

Thanks for your input.  Eventually got through to them by phone after 15 min wait and having been cut off twice prior to that. Turns out the way to get an email through on the hello@ovoenergy.com email address is to write “complaint” in the subject heading.  That got a response within 10mins!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Jeffus 

Thanks for your input.  Eventually got through to them by phone after 15 min wait and having been cut off twice prior to that. Turns out the way to get an email through on the hello@ovoenergy.com email address is to write “complaint” in the subject heading.  That got a response within 10mins!  

@ChrisBrayson Good to hear it is sorted in the end.

OVO are still advertising the hello email address on their complaints page on their website, so writing "complaint" I assume filters the  emails to be read by a complaints team.

Thanks for keeping us updated

Userlevel 7

Updated on 25/06/24 by Shads_OVO

Hi @ChrisBrayson and thanks for flagging this negative customer experience. It’s been noted. 

It’s true, we have started to redirect customers who use the email address from some specific queries, recommending they use other channels instead. We can give faster, more effective support via online chat, social media, and even via calling vs email. That said you’ve called out some things that need improving, around sending in tenancy agreements but your email bouncing (you can attach documents via online chat), and not being able to choose a new tariff via online chat (due to verbal confirmation - that’s why they asked you to call) - I’m sorry and I’m passing this on to get fixed. It’s not good enough. 

For you or anyone else who wants to see the process for moving in to a home supplied by OVO (or being a landlord taking over responsibility), see our guide here: