News

How long does it take to request a switch to a new energy supplier?

How long does it take to request a switch to a new energy supplier?
Userlevel 7

Updated on 21/07/23 by Abby_OVO

Faster Switching - What do I need to know?

Coming to the end of your energy plan and considering your options? If you’ve switched energy suppliers in the past you might remember this process taking several weeks. But this has changed thanks to Faster Switching.

From August 2022, the process of switching energy suppliers changed. This means that you can now have greater control over when you’ll join your new supplier. You can now request a switch for as soon as the next working day.

How can I choose my start date with OVO Energy?

Our Quote and Switch page will include the option to select your starting date. The earliest switch date will be the next working day. The latest date you can schedule a switch will be in 29 days. 

What does this mean for my cooling-off period?

You’ll still have the same 14 day cooling-off period as before. This may mean you’ll already have switched before your cooling-off period ends. If you change your mind during this time, you’re still free to end your plan without being charged any exit fees. You’ll just be charged for your energy use at the rates of that plan, until you find a new one or supplier you’d rather go with. We’ll make this clear when you sign-up. 

If you opt not to agree to cover any energy charges during your cooling-off period the earliest switching date we’ll offer you will be in 15 days' time (when your cooling-off period is over).

When will I receive my welcome pack?

We’ll email your welcome pack out with plenty of time for you to check the details. If you’ve requested a next day switch but haven’t received a confirmation within an hour of signing up (don’t forget to check your junk folder) we’d recommend getting in touch with our Support Team to make sure everything’s on track. If you’ve opted for postal communications, please allow at least 5 working days for this welcome pack to be delivered.

When do I submit my opening meter readings?

You’ll be able to submit your opening meter readings from 10 days before the switch date until 5 days after. We’ll send you an opening meter reading reminder on your switch date. Even if you’ve got smart meters, we’d recommend submitting manual readings just in case we’re not able to collect these automatically on the day you join us. You can do this by logging in to your new OVO Energy online account or contacting our Support Team

Can my current supplier still object to my switch away?

Yes - we’ll still need to give your current supplier notice that you’ve requested to switch. They’ll have 1 working day to raise any objections. A supplier may object for several reasons, including an outstanding debt balance on your account with them.

If we receive an objection to your switch, it will be cancelled. If you’ve resolved the problems with your current supplier and would still like to change suppliers, you’ll need to reapply for the switch, choosing from the plans we have available at that point.

When can I expect my first OVO Energy bill?

Following a successful switch we’ll still need to get your opening meter readings confirmed before we can issue your opening statement. This can still take up to 6 weeks from your switch date. Both energy suppliers need to agree to the same set of meter readings, this makes sure you don’t get charged for the same energy twice. We’ll email you a copy of this statement and it’ll also be available to download on your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).

What if I choose to leave OVO?

As all energy suppliers will now offer faster switching, you’ll also be able to leave us on the same quicker timeframe, by signing up directly with another supplier. We’ll still send you an email notifying you of the request to leave. If you receive an email like this and you haven’t requested a switch it’s important to get in touch with us as soon as you can. We can help put a stop to any upcoming switches or get things back where they should be if the erroneous switch has already taken place. We can attempt to stop the switch up to 5pm on the day before the Supply Start Date.

We hope this answers most of the questions you might have around the changes taking place. 

Something we’ve not covered? Let us know in the comments below and we’ll be happy to help.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jess_OVO i think this is real progress not just the quicker process but i would hope there are less customers who experience issues switching suppliers as the process has been improved. 

I assume there is less switching going on generally at the moment?

Userlevel 7

Great to hear you’re on-board with the new process, @Jeffus.

The aim is certainly to make changing energy suppliers much quicker and easier. As I’m sure you’re aware the current energy market conditions are challenging which has seen lower than usual switching numbers at the moment.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I switched from OVO to Octopus on 20/07/22. Six weeks have passed and still no final . Have been given £30 GSOP payment but still no final bill. Does OVO Energy know of Ofgem's switching rules six week final bill with refund of the balance within 10 working days after final bill. Looks like OVO Energy will be next to go bust. l have been with OVO for 10 years. Even if their Electric was free I would not switch back to OVO.

Badge +1

With prices frozen for nearly everyone for the next 2 years, price will not be a reason to switch in the medium term.  Perhaps service ( or lack of it) will become a telling factor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

With prices frozen for nearly everyone for the next 2 years, price will not be a reason to switch in the medium term.  Perhaps service ( or lack of it) will become a telling factor.

There are a few reasons people might want to switch. 

1. If you are after a Time of Use tariff like Octopus Go etc. 

2. If you don't want to pay by direct debit. Octopus for example never charge more if you want to pay on receipt of a bill. The rates are exactly the same. 

3. If you want quarterly billing which Is still available from at least one other supplier, although definitely not common now.

Etc.

We have seen OVO customers switch for these reasons. Obviously switching right now is not easy generally.... 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have EV car Solar and storage battery so Octopus GO is the only way to go. Looks like OVO only want customer that use peak electricity.  Giving me renewal quote of £0.20 kWh off peak was kick in the teeth. Now have 4 hours at £0.075 kWh with Octopus.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Now have 4 hours at £0.075 kWh with Octopus.

Did you choose your preferred 4 hour slot so you could maximise the household use in the cheap times?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yes from 00:30 to 04:30. Today saw that Ospray rapid charger are now £1.00 kWh. That's £0.925 kWh more than Octopus Go.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ah, you stuck with the default hours? A lot of users either go for the 21:30-01:30 slot to use appliances in the evening or 02:30-06:30 if they are early risers or have electric heating and want to warm the house ready for morning.

I think my hand would be shaking too much in terror to plug in if I had to use an Osprey charger at that price.

I am an existing OVO customer for electricity and moving house soon. I have tried to get a quote for electricty and gas to the new house but I am only getting one option and it seems to insist we have a smart meter fitted.  We don't want one.  Can we still apply and will the same quote apply?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @Tig26 ,

I’m afraid the answer to that is probably no. Tariffs that require smart meters are cheaper because suppliers can get subsidies and incentives for installing them, which in turn can be passed to you in the form of slightly cheaper tariff rates.

Tariffs that don’t force a smart meter do not get this discount because the supplier can’t pass it on.

If the only option being offered requires a smart meter, I’m afraid that’s your only option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Can I ask why you don’t want a smart meter @Tig26 ? I think they’re brilliant !

What does it entails in order for me to switch my energy and gas supplier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Oladunni ,

If you’re looking to switch to OVO, simply use https://switch.ovoenergy.com . You can do everything you need from there and OVO will notify your current supplier on your behalf.

If you’re switching to another supplier from anywhere, simply use the switch tool of your chosen supplier and they’ll do the rest.

Thanks for the reply 

Stuck with my present supplier British Gas after they took over my account from Peoples in 2020 who I had reported a faulty electric meter and present supplier denies all and said they are not responsible anyway? December 22 166Kw and Dec 2023 now 689Kw £430 energy for a month and that’s with being careful fewer lights no decorations and freezer gone?  Eventually agreed to change to smart meter this month two appointments made but let down again today? Have kept paying to keep the lights on but seems that I missed a deadline of last October which has locked me into my present supplier?  Any suggestions would be helpful I’ve tried Citizens Advice, Ombudsman, a waste of effort I just need a new meter a new fair company and a fresh start.  As a footnote I am 75 this week and who would have dreamt that this country would be as confusing as it is today? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Petr K Marsh ,

You might be able to get one with OVO, but you’d have to leave British Gas first. If that’s what you’d like to do, please sign up via https://switch.ovoenergy.com and get your account running.

You’ll be able to request a smart meter after the account moves over.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Unearthing an old thread here and noticed I’d said I think smart meters are brilliant!! Well I still do but I’m a bit confused that my switch from OVO to octopus doesn’t seem to have made full use of them.

I was asked to send meter readings but the octopus app didn’t seem to have anywhere on the page to submit them. Never mind, I thought, I have a smart meter… However octopus kept asking so I emailed them. My usage graphs with octopus show they’re getting the info, but the actual numbers only appear if I send manual readings.

Checking the citizens advice link shows my smets1 smart meter is working in smart mode but still registered with OVO. 
…and another thing… what I thought would be my last bill with OVO has a closing reading which is an estimate!!! Now I have to wait another month for a bill for about 4 units🤦‍♀️

@Blastoise186 would you say this was normal or should I ask either supplier what’s going on ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Update: the estimate was an over estimate of 9 units so I’m owed another £2 on top of the balance of £528 and the extra £190 dd that OVO collected after the close of my account.