Solved

Can OVO take on a 200amp 3-phase CT meter set up labelled as Industrial? If not, what can I do?

• 28 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Reading these threads has been very helpful, and I found an issue that almost exactly matched mine at:

I contacted OVO customer service via the chat to see if they could take me on as a customer with my profile (domestic residence with a 200amp 3-phase CT meter and a kVA of 135). After 30 minutes I finally got someone’s attention and was told by the agent that they could not talk to me until they had a copy of my title deed with my signature. I sent them an export of the title register from the land registry and was told this “proved nothing”. I also offered to send a copy of my passport and council tax and was told that would not suffice. It is unclear to me if agent even read my question. They said they worked in the “Pay go” department.

While I am sure I can get a hold of this document, it may take several days to request an official copy, and it seems very strange to not even be able to answer a customer service question without it. Is this normal or can someone recommend another way to get through to OVO?

icon

Best answer by bookienh 29 September 2023, 15:24

View original

4 replies

OK I took the tactic of completing the online quote form, signing up for the service (direct debit and all), and then started a. new chat to ask my question. This time around I go a very helpful chat person, as well as a subsequently mostly helpful person on the phone (though sadly still no clear answer on whether I can use OVO). So I guess the answer is just keep trying with customer service.

Userlevel 7

Hey @bookienh,

Sorry for the first experience you had but I’m glad the second was much more helpful.

I’ll ask about this internally and see if I can get any clarity.

Userlevel 7

Hey @bookienh,

I know that we can take on residential 3 phase supplies with CT meters. For the 200amp 3-phase CT meter and a kVA of 135, this is very technical and would have to be raised to our site support team. If you contact customer support they should be able to get this raised on your behalf. 

Updated on 10/10/23 by Abby_OVO

Thanks. I did talk to customer support about this, and they said that I was flagged in the national database as “Industrial”, and that I would need to ask my existing provider to remove this flag before OVO could take me on.

I then contacted my existing provider (EDF) who said that they cannot currently remove the flag, as it is linked to my meter type (I have a 00 half-hourly meter). The only way forward - according to them - was to change meters.

As it turns out, I have discovered that I don’t actually need 135 kVA, we use far less. So I have now asked my DNO to lower my kVA, and plan to subsequently request a meter downgrade.

Fingers crossed this will work, but of course am happy to hear any other recommendations.

I know that we can take on residential 3 phase supplies with CT meters. For the 200amp 3-phase CT meter and a kVA of 135, this is very technical and would have to be raised to our site support team. If you contact customer support they should be able to get this raised on your behalf.