Solved

Why is the tariff rate on my smart meter and Chameleon In Home Display (IHD) wrong?

Show first post

121 replies

Userlevel 4

And can’t get on website for two days now 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Please don't worry. The rate on your IHD is just for information. If it's wrong you won't be charged that amount.

But seems strange it has gone wrong today so how will i know at the end of the day how much i have been charged 41pis really high.

Thank you  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you know what your rate should be? You might have an email from OVO telling you.

You can change your IHD so it displays kWh rather than price. You can use that to calculate the price of the electricity you use today. Don't forget to add on the standing charge.

But i still find it very worrying its say 41 if price cap is much lower .

Userlevel 4

My rates haven't charged on my IHD or my app.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I'm exactly same position, but paying 47.92 ppkWh (50.32 ppkWh on my Smart Meter as this includes VAT).  My contract changed on 10th Sep and my Smart Meter changed instantly in line with my new contract price, so whoever is saying your Smart meter doesn't match what you are being charged is not correct.  NB My parent's OVO meter went up today to reflect new Energy Guarantee Price (EPG) from old OFGEM Cap price, so OVO very quick to put up prices - perhaps not so quick to reduce them for people like us on Fixed Prices that are higher than the EPG?  Would like to ask them, but phone lines and chat closed until Monday !!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You're completely wrong. Your IHD doesn't necessarily show the correct tariff. Ours doesn't.

It should show the correct tariff but for various reasons sometimes it doesn't.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi M.isterW  Not completely wrong surely?! If your own meter doesn't always show your contracted unit rates and standing charges (including VAT), this doesn't mean my own and other OVO customers meters are similarly unreliable.  My meter has always matched my agreed contracted rates (with VAT applied) and correlates with the daily charges I see in my OVO App.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The meter doesn't hold your rates. It just records your usage and sends that data to your energy company.

It's the IHD (in home display) that holds the rates. This is just a display unit that is provided for your convenience. Having the wrong rates on the IHD doesn't affect your bills in any way at all. I know this because the rates on my IHD are different to the rates I'm being charged.

Userlevel 3
Badge

My mains meter (a second generation smart meter in the meter box outside the house) holds my rates (tariff and standing charge) and other info (total consumption since installation and the nature of the account).  You can see these values if you cycle through them using the meter's "A" button.  These values are repeated in the IHD's account details section for, as you say, user convenience.  These values are (should be!) updated by the energy supplier when they are changed and should be accurate and match your agreed contract terms.  Otherwise what is the point of a smart meter, which is to provide the occupier the ability to manage their energy budget and the supplier to help the customer pay what they owe.

Userlevel 7

Hi everyone and thanks for flagging these unit rates and standing charges not showing correctly on the In Home Display. 

As M.isterW has stated (nice one for myth busting these), the prices on the IHD (or even the smart meter if yours show them) aren’t the rates you’re paying. Ideally they link up, to help with cost visualization, but ultimately they send your suppliers your usage data and your supplier then bills you and visualizes this in usage pages online. 

To confirm your prices and plan: https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

To see your smart meter usage and smart meter costs: https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage

I’d recommend waiting a few days to give your smart meter a chance to be sent the updated tariff. To repeat, it won’t affect your charges. 

I soent 2 hours on a chat line which was a disaster and the only thing i was told was to turn my smart meter off for 24 hours and it will then give me the correct price .

Is this correct please as mine says 40.91 at the moment .

Service is terrbile 

Userlevel 4

Suealec so they have told you to turn the IHD off 24 hours is that correct? 

So will that then update my app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It sounds like someone or something may have sent the SMETS Command Update Tariff Configuration to correct the rates applied to the meters and therefore the IHD. Usually, that command goes through within a few hours but it can sometimes take up to 24 hours to fully go through.

You can leave the IHD on in the meantime - it will pick up the data regardless.

Once the rates on the meters are refreshed, it will cause any connected IHD or CAD to pick them up as well, along with any apps such as Hildebrand Bright, Hugo or Loop.

Updating the OVO app requires a different process, which is currently ongoing.

IHD not showing correct tariff. Switched off as advised removed battery and replaced but still not correct tariff. Contacted ovo said will send new one but none in stock 

Hi , I've had my smart meter for around 5 years, when it was with SSE it was fine , since they moved me to ovo around 11 months ago it doesn't seem right. I've noticed the daily charge is different to the total cost on the app, I understand this is because daily standing charge and vat are added on, but also every day a extra 80 pence more seems to be taken off my balance. This is mind boggling.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Nananne 

It’s actually a much easier fix. Simply ask the Support Team to run the SMETS Command Update Tariff Configuration against both meters.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Discoman ,

Chances are the fix is really simple - please ask the Support Team to run the SMETS Command Update Tariff Configuration against both meters.

Could you also show us photos of what you’re seeing please? Make sure to remove personal info like your account number, MPAN/MPRN and address as this is a public forum.

Hi ..

Can anyone tell me if my SMART meter will update itself with the new tariff prices?  Will it do this automatically or do I need to ask OVO to make the changes.,  Virtually impossible to speak to a human being at OVO at the moment, even their WhatsApp system does not  seem to be working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @Ian01 !

It should do. If it doesn’t seem to budge, try asking the Support Team to run the SMETS Command Update Tariff Configuration which should force the updates through.

Thanks - I will do that!

I am on prepayment with OvO/Boost.

As per the title, my smart meter has not updated to Octobers tariffs, I am still on Aprils tariffs.

I have spend many many MANY hours in calls or webchat over the past month and have gotten no where. I have been told differnet things by different people and am banging my head on a brick wall.

I am sick of being told, ‘ we will do ----------- please wait 10 working days’  ‘Someone will be in touch with you, please wait 10 working days’ and nothing changes, nothing gets fixed and no one gets in touch..

My last conversation today was that they couldn’t read my neter and that my ‘balance’ was incorrect. When I asked how he knew what my balance was if he couldn’t read my meter, he said ‘ we are not talking about balance’

I was send an email with questions about my meter etc which I have filled in. but I suspect this is yet another brick wall I will be hitting my head on.

Both the WAN & HAN lights flash green every 5 seconds, and I have excellent 4g signal next to my meter.

On top of that despite being on a SMETS2 meter I am recieving vouchers for my £66 and the app has not updated my balance since 19th August!!

Can anyone shed some light??

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please post photos of the meters. We’ll try to help figure this out

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @RHewitson

I would also try one of the 3rd party apps to see if they can see your usage information

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

https://loop.homes/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.hildebrand.brightionic