Solved

Why does a looped neutral mean I can't get a smart meter?

• 22 April 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi 

I have a problem with my electric meter as it is an looped neutral meter I really want a smart meter but the most companies can’t change a looped meter could you maybe help me with this problem 

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 25 April 2022, 11:15

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It looks like you need to ask the DNO to separate the neutrals before anyone can do anything with the meter.

Userlevel 7

Updated on 20/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Great link there, @M.isterW.

Looped neutral

What are they?

A looped neutral is similar to a shared neutral but it is when you have two or more meters next to each other in a property. Instead of being wired up to individual neutral blocks, the neutral is wired in series from meter to meter so they all share the same neutral and it is wired from meter to meter.

Can we work on these?

No. Unfortunately in these circumstances there isn't anything we can do as every property connected to the neutral will need to be de-energised, it also requires the consent from each meter supplier for the work to go ahead. If you requires a meter exchange, we recommend you contact the DNO as they may be able to separate the neutrals, though this would be a complex job. 

Have you managed to get in touch with your DNO to work out the next steps, @Abdulhakim