Solved

Why am I getting a 'not eligible for a smart meter' message when trying to book a Smart meter installation online?

• 2 July 2021
  • 9 replies

I’ve been with OVO for just under a year and the online booking tool still reports that I’m not eligible to receive a smart meter. I understand we’ve had a pandemic but I can’t fathom out why there continues to be a problem. I live in a new build development in Greater London and there are existing smart meters in the building’s meter cabinet :thinking: Any advice gratefully received.

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 19 July 2021, 12:13

Well that’s disappointing to hear @coradia

Understand that it might seem like a simple fix but sometimes there’s more going on behind-the-scenes than it appears.

Worth bearing in mind that even if there’s good signal in your flat, occasionally if the meters are in a different location (ie, a shared meter cupboard or basement) the signal in the meter areas won’t be good enough for us to receive the readings, in which case we won’t be able to book that in yet. It’s worth keeping an eye on your online account as we’ll make it clear on the homepage if anything changes - the WAN and mesh signal networks are improving all the time so hopefully we’ll be able to offer you a smart meter soon! :thumbsup:

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there @coradia !

Sorry for the late reply, I was away over the weekend and I’m just catching up with the forum now.

This does seem a bit unusual to be honest and I’m not seeing any obvious reasons that would be a blocker in your case. Could you take some photos of your current meters and pop them in your next reply for me? Sometimes I can get a few clues off those that might help figure out the puzzle.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for posting, @coradia - that’s a really long wait for a smart meter!

Yes we have limited engineer coverage, which means we can’t cover all of the UK all the time. But you’re in London and you’ve waited a year. Something’s not right. Sorry to hear this. 

Can you give us a bit more detail on your set up at home? Do you fill in any of the eligibility criteria or are you told there’s no available appointments on the booking platform before getting to this point?

If you never get a chance to submit any eligibility due to a lack of appointments, I’d recommend you get our Support team to try on their system. It might be an issue with the customer facing platform finding your location. 

if it’s an eligibility issue, send over a picture of your set up or some more info so we can advise what your options or any blockers are. 

Thanks! 

Thanks for your prompt replies @Blastoise186 and @Tim_OVO. The issue isn’t lack of appointments but not being eligible:

My set-ups a ten-year old new build apartment with, as far as I’m aware, regular meters. Here’s a photo of the cabinet:

Thanks for looking into this! James.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Woah! DIAL METERS?!?!?! In a new build?!?!?! That’s crazy… And I spy with my little eye… A dreaded Landis+Gyr E110 in the background. I thought dial meters had been phased out when it comes to electricity meters, apparently not…

Other than that, I’m not seeing any obvious upgrade blockers in these photos and dial meters definitely won’t get in the way. You’ve clearly got what seems like a bog standard Single-Phase Single-Rate Meter and I can’t see any signs of issues there. Might be worth getting the Support Team to attempt the upgrade request manually via the internal system. They can sometimes bypass these blockers. :)

Thanks for sharing this one @coradia !

Userlevel 7

Woah! DIAL METERS?!?!?! In a new build?!?!?! 

Not quite dial meters these ones, @Blastoise186 - but it’s still pretty rare to see analogue meters without a LCD screen around here. 

Can understand why you’re keen to get a Smart meter installed, @coradia. Just wondering if you answered any questions about your set-up before seeing this page? - 

If you’ve let us know that your meters are at height or there’s a distance between the gas and electricity meter, this could the reason behind the ineligibility message. If this doesn’t apply in your case it’s worth raising this to the Support Team - don’t forget to keep us updated. It will really help others who might be seeing the same message when attempting to book a Smart meter.

Thanks @Jess_OVO for replying. I’ve never answered any questions to the best of my knowledge. I installed the app shortly after my switch was complete and that’s the screen I’ve always been presented with. I don’t have a gas meter. I’ve opened a support ticket so :fingers_crossed_tone1:

Thanks everyone for your comments. I heard back from the support team and, despite living in Greater London with good Telefónica mobile coverage (assuming this is O2, which my work mobile uses) and neighbours with SMETS2 smart meters from other suppliers, I’m not eligible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks @coradia .

As far as I can tell from the image you provided, I didn’t see any SMETS2 meters. It’s possible that there might have been some out of shot, but for the meter to be S2 in London, there must be a Comms Hub bolted to the top of the meter that was manufactured by either Toshiba or WNC. If the brand printed on the Comms Hub is either Trilliant or matches the brand of the meter itself, then it’s actually S1.

S2 meters in London are part of the Southern Territory which does indeed run on the Telefonica WAN via Cellular and is roughly the same setup as the O2 network. My best guesses as to why you can't get an upgrade right now is possibly something along the lines of:

• Overloading of the nearby network capacity
  • Engineer availability
  • Signal issues at your exact location or the general area
  • An account-specific issue of some kind
  • Low stocks of meters/comms hubs in the local inventory
  • Some other weird issue with your specific meter(s)

You might want to keep trying every week as things might change. But hopefully Tim or Jess might know some possible clues as to what’s happening here. This is really strange!

Userlevel 7

Well that’s disappointing to hear @coradia

Understand that it might seem like a simple fix but sometimes there’s more going on behind-the-scenes than it appears.

Worth bearing in mind that even if there’s good signal in your flat, occasionally if the meters are in a different location (ie, a shared meter cupboard or basement) the signal in the meter areas won’t be good enough for us to receive the readings, in which case we won’t be able to book that in yet. It’s worth keeping an eye on your online account as we’ll make it clear on the homepage if anything changes - the WAN and mesh signal networks are improving all the time so hopefully we’ll be able to offer you a smart meter soon! :thumbsup: