Solved

What is this reactive (kvarh) light constantly lit on Kaifa MA120 meter

• 2 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Not with OVO but I’ve found the forum very helpful previously so posting here if anyone has any ideas. EDF have no idea what I’m talking about… 

New property (to me) which is being renovated soon. Had SMETS2 meters installed a couple weeks ago, and an isolation switch today - both installs organised by EDF but carried out by their contractor. After the isolation switch was installed and everything reengerised, the reactive kv light is constantly lit on the meter. Installer said “that’s normal” and left. 

Any idea why this would be? Initially thought due to not having much of a load on the meter, but even when running a heater, the kvarh light stays lit. 

Image of the thing I’m seeing below:

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 2 February 2024, 21:13

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @strategic_goose ,

Actually… That’s not normal and suggests you’ve got a possibly faulty unit. Does the red LED next to it still flash or is it stuck on/off too?

Hey @strategic_goose ,

Actually… That’s not normal and suggests you’ve got a possibly faulty unit. Does the red LED next to it still flash or is it stuck on/off too?

That was quick! The kWh impulse light flashes as expected in line with usage (I wasn’t there today for the isolator install, but heading over to the property now to have a look). 

Anything I should be looking out for @Blastoise186 ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hehehe, we’re rapid here when we’re actively patrolling! :)

We even have a feed for it. We can see literally everything everywhere that way.

I think your readings should be fine in that case, but I’d still keep an eye on that stuck LED and probably query it to be safe.

So - from 13:30 to 14:45, the light has, at some point, gone out with no human intervention. Can’t find any manuals/quick reference guides for meters (no reason for the public to have them tbf!) but I’m probably thinking it was something related to the work done by the contractor for the iso switch - maybe tamper mechanism for deenergising and replacing tails, or provisioning at EDFs end after completing the work. 

Meter read goes up as expected so think we’re fine! Thanks for your input! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries, glad I could help anyway!

We’re here if you need us for anything else, so feel free to stop by anytime. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The reactive indicator is used to show when power being used is not all ‘in-phase’. 
It is in some way a fault indication but many different loads cause the power feed to “react” in different ways. As long as it doesn’t maintain a constant presence over some time, it is probably everything settling down. 
 Here’s a more detailed technical explanation