Solved

Unused RTS meter blocking smart meter install?

• 15 February 2024
  • 11 replies

Hey, I have a bog standard single phase meter, which I would like to have switched to a smart meter but I’m being told that “Sorry, we can't install a smart meter yet” on the eligibility website. My neighbours and just about everyone I know seems to have a smart meter so it isn’t a signal issue.

There IS an unused Teleswitch + meter for an old heating system that is unused.

Ideally I would like that Teleswitch meter removed, then the single phase meter changed to a smart meter but I’m assuming the Teleswitch is what is blocking the upgrade? I have asked support but they also just repeat back that they can’t install one at the moment without giving a reason.

Any ideas on how to get this fixed?

icon

Best answer by Firedog 16 February 2024, 15:50

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @struan ,

Sure thing. Can you show us a few snaps of the current setup please? As a forum volunteer, I can’t access your account so these photos help me figure out your options.

We won’t use them to spam you with forum marketing either as they purely help us with context for your question - 100% promise on that! :)

Green circled meter in use. The rest is unused and the meter hasn't moved since I bought the place a few years ago. Could do with a tidy but the active part of the system is the 2 cables for the meter plus the earth then the breaker box. All the wood can come out once that other meter is removed so should be plenty of space.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @struan , the other devices in your picture show that Teleswitch (RTS) meter which might not be used to feed any appliances but it is connected to the grid so would need some additional work. 
That meter will also still be showing in your property profile and those set ups are problematic to replace. 
There’s certainly physically enough space for a smart meter but it would require some significant work to change. 

Yeah, I need these 3 wires disconnected then I can remove everything else myself unless they want the old meter back. It's just frustrating because it's a 5 minute job to disconnect it and nobody is coming to do it.

Userlevel 7

Hey @struan,

I can see our Community Members have already given some helpful advice here.

Just wanted to add that the following topics may be helpful:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah, I need these 3 wires disconnected then I can remove everything else myself unless they want the old meter back. It's just frustrating because it's a 5 minute job to disconnect it and nobody is coming to do it.

Yes .. it’s the fuse pull that’s the key restriction. Only certain engineers are allowed to do this. 

The earth and neutral are not so much of a problem but do also need to be disconnected at the same time. 

I thought smart meter installers would be popping out the fuse anyway since they're working on the live right next to the one I want out... Annoying but I'm stuck with the blanket "He has an RTS so no". Any solutions from OVO or am I just stuck with this forever?

Userlevel 7
Badge

Have you asked your DNO? It’s their fuse, so if you told them it sometimes smokes, they should rush out to change it, at which point they could remove the feed to the RTS meter. There also seem to have been leaks at some stage from the connection boxes to the right of the cut-out, and since they’re directly wired to the main DB cable, SSEN (if you’re north of the Tay and that’s your DNO) might be interested in that, too. 

If you did get them to disconnect the RTS meter, you could ask for certification to OVO that they’ve done so and so clear the RTS flag on your account. 

It looks like you’re going to have to be a bit creative!

As an update: SSEN advised that the RTS meter needs a logical disconnection from OVO. On request to OVO for a logical disconnection for the meter, they won’t do it because and I quote:

It is due to meter types and the issues they could cause but as I have advised as soon as we are able too upgrade your meter/resolve the issue we will be in touch

The same failure of understanding for the Nth time. They see RTS and just completely panic.

I’m throwing in the towel.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @struan

I have asked for some advice on this as you seem to be caught between a rock and a hard place with this one. We have a team dedicated to these style of meters I have reached out to them for some help with this. 

When I have more information I will pop back with an update for you. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @struan,

I heard back from the team about your metering complications.

They have advised that while removing the meter is possible, it causes many behind-the-scenes complications with your account. As the account would likely be “dual Meter Point Administration Number”, removing one would cause the billing system to expect a replacement and fail to bill/bill the account incorrectly. This itself can take a long time to resolve with our billing team so they can pull the account back on track. 

They’ve shown me a completed scenario where they performed the removal for a customer and highlighted some of the things they had to overcome to get this working. It was a reasonably sizeable behind-the-scenes task that took considerable time to achieve.

At this stage, the issue is more of an inconvenience for you than an actual issue that needs to be met ASAP. They have recommended that if you wait a little longer, they’ll work on a fix. As your meter is an RTS meter, you will be contacted when this goes live to arrange for the meter to be removed/exchanged as part of this rollout. This means they can complete your work with as little disruption as possible. 

I apologise if this was a little wordy. I wanted to be transparent, as you have been passed from pillar to post. Hopefully, this will be something they can resolve for you soon!