Solved

Unable to get a smart meter - Need one for my EV

• 22 May 2023
  • 3 replies

I’m looking for a bit of help and advice if possible. I have had a ‘smart’ meter fitted today but as it is in the basement of the house, it has been unable to get a signal. Basically I was told ‘there is nothing that can be done im afraid’. The reason for wanting the smart meter was to take advantage of the cheap overnight electricity rate which will save us around £500 a year over 2 electric cars.

I was wondering if anybody may be able to offer advice on where to go from this point to hopefully resolve the issue or if anybody has had similar issues and managed to find a way to resolve it?

TIA

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 22 May 2023, 15:40

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @wotty1 ,

There might be solutions for this, but I need to see photos of the meter first so I know what you’ve got.

Hi @wotty1 ,

There might be solutions for this, but I need to see photos of the meter first so I know what you’ve got.

Thank you for the quick reply. I have attached the photo

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks!

So it looks like the HAN Signal is fine, which I’d expect anyway. However, as you’re in the Northern Territory the options to fix the WAN Signal are more limited than they are for the Southern Territory.

There’s only one option I can recommend. However, you wouldn’t have been offered the upgrade if there wasn’t any WAN Signal in the area at all, so I’m confident that this might work.

What I’d recommend is that you consider moving the meter upstairs where it should get a stronger signal and hopefully be commissioned properly from there. OVO charge about £125 for their part of the work to do a Meter Reposition, but you’ll need to get your DNO involved as well and pay their fee too.

If you have a chat with the Support Team, they can talk you through this. If you need any more advice though, feel free to stop by here again. The advice we give via this forum is of course, completely free of charge and on a no-commitment basis.