Solved

THTC to Smart Meter- Will engineer connect both consumer units into the meter?

• 13 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

I am currently on THTC but with a single rate for both meters as I don't have storage heaters or other timed appliances.   I am due to have a smart meter installed on Tuesday which I am very pleased about after lots of aggravation over recent months.  Because of the THTC system,  there are 2 consumer units for the different circuits in the flat.  Will the installation engineer do the necessary work to connect both consumer units into the meter?

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 14 August 2023, 14:50

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @stacer,

I’m going to ask the team about this internally and report back to you.

Have you recently moved to OVO? Did you book the smart meter appointment online or through customer support? Were they made aware you had a THTC set up?

Userlevel 1

I have recently been transferred from SSE where the issue of a single meter supply was the subject of an ongoing complaint.  OVO put me on to a single rate for both meters as I don’t have any storage heaters or other timed appliances and the installation of a smart meter really just brings me into line with the normal metering for my situation.  
Technically, there is absolutely no difficulty, remove the existing meters and transfer the tails from the consumer units via Henley blocks to the smart meter. I am aware of neighbouring properties that have successfully migrated to smart meters from THTC.

I can only assume that my supplier is aware of my tariff/meter system, if not then something is amiss with the system.

Userlevel 7

Hey @stacer

As far as I'm aware customers aren’t able to book their own smart meters with THTC set ups. I’d advise contacting Customer Support to see if the installer is aware that you had a THTC set up and whether we can go ahead with the appointment. 

With your query regarding the two consumer units, if the second consumer unit for the off peak energy is redundant (as it might be if storage heaters have been removed), then it's viable to install (providing a customer has agreed to a change of tariff as previously mentioned). You would then have to get an electrician out to remove the redundant consumer unit.

Or the electrician might need to hook up the second consumer unit to the 24hr supply.

So, entirely depends on a customer's set up and their current situation.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7

Further to my previous response @stacer,

We're not providing THTC smart meters as we don't have smart meters capable of supporting THTC. But if a customer has had THTC, and it's no longer necessary because they've had a change to their heating system (as seems to be the case with your situation), then they can roll on to a different tariff and have a smart meter installed.

Hopefully this helps other customers with similar questions. I’ll update this topic if anything changes in the future. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for clarifying that, it was what I had understood, seems sensible and so far my week with OVO has been all positive. I’ll come back after it’s over to update this question because as you say, there will be others in my situation.