Solved

The OVO app and website showing different usage

• 15 February 2023
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

The Ovo app is not showing the same electricity usage as the web page.

I have an EV and I keep check on the power usage on the Ovo app and it has been misreporting usage. In some cases the EV charging has been completely missed. On the 8th Feb it reported that I was charging in the early hours when it wasn’t and then missed the short top up charge about midday and missed the charge commencing 22:00 which was due to carry on to 03:30 on the 9th Feb. However, the web page agrees with my usage. I’m happy with the information on the web page as my costs are in line with what I’m expecting.

This is not the only instance but this seems to have started only recently. I can no longer trust the app data.

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 15 February 2023, 13:23

View original

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Peter E

Could you post screen shots of what you are seeing?

It may help one of us asking some follow up questions. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

The app screenshots are all on the 8th February even thought the second and third ones don’t have a date at the top.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Peter E 

The website is looking at 2023

The app is looking at 2022

It is not the same day

Perhaps post the 8th Feb 2023 from the app for us to compare. 

Or some other examples? 

Does that help?

In no way related, just looking back at your older posts, has the software on your meter been upgraded to SMETS2 now? Have you looked recently? 

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Just gives more options for checking usage via 3rd party apps. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

My apologies. My error entirely. Well done for spotting that so quickly

Userlevel 4
Badge

The only thing I would say about the app is that the contrast on the Daily/Monthly/Yearly tabs  is not that great and, to be honest, it’s not the first time that I’ve stepped back a year instead of stepping back a month or a day and not noticed the mistake. Just a thought. Cheers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The only thing I would say about the app is that the contrast on the Daily/Monthly/Yearly tabs  is not that great and, to be honest, it’s not the first time that I’ve stepped back a year instead of stepping back a month or a day and not noticed the mistake. Just a thought. Cheers.

Interesting, i find i have to double check sometimes as well, so you are not alone @Peter E 

I don't personally tend to use the app regularly as there is some information only available on the website unrelated to this.

How are you getting on with your EV? 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I bought a Zoe ZE40 in July 2021 and it has been brilliant although I would have to say that my previous car was a 15 yo Fiesta so not much of a comparison. It’s smooth, quiet and for a city car it will cruise down the motorway at 70 without any fuss whatsoever. In the Fiesta you needed ear defenders at that speed. As I’ve said elsewhere I spent a lot of time researching the car and not very much about charging. My experience is simply choose the car you like driving but spend more time checking that your charging solutions are viable. Both for chargers being available at the places where you go (and en-route)  and what you are going to do at home. The charger situation is improving. There is no way I would go back to a petrol or diesel.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Back to the Smart meter question I’m still on SMETS1 but thanks for the link again to check. I don’t suppose it’s an issue as I’m getting the HH readings. Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Back to the Smart meter question I’m still on SMETS1 but thanks for the link again to check. I don’t suppose it’s an issue as I’m getting the HH readings. Thank you.

I very much doubt it to be honest. 

Unfortunately the deadline for over the air software upgrades to SMETS2 or meter replacements got pushed back another year to end Dec 2023.... it could easily be pushed back again. 

Do you know how old your meters are? 

On the SSE app can you tell if each of the daily readings is estimated or a smart meter reading? Is there a reading page? 

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m not an SSE (ex) customer so I don’t have this app. I’ve been with Ovo since 2014 when they put in the Smart meter when I switched. The date on the Electric and Gas meters is 2014. The E meter is a Secure Liberty 100

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m not an SSE (ex) customer so I don’t have this app. I’ve been with Ovo since 2014 when they put in the Smart meter when I switched. The date on the Electric and Gas meters is 2014. The E meter is a Secure Liberty 100

Oops sorry, replying to a few threads i got mixed up…

So this is a good page to always check. 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/gas

As it will be very clear if you are getting daily smart meter readings and not estimated ones. 

It should say Smart next to each reading ideally. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks for the links. I thought the Meter Readings were for supplying readings. I know better now!

Yes. They are all Smart. Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Blastoise186 @Tim_OVO 

These Secure Liberty meters. 

Do you know how long these are certified for before they should be replaced anyway? 

Is it 10 years for this model ? Or more?

I think there is a set time for each model? Is that correct? 

Is it documented anywhere in OVO? Is there a list we can have in case it helps answer some questions in the future? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for the links. I thought the Meter Readings were for supplying readings. I know better now!

Yes. They are all Smart. Thank you

It is both. 

You can supply readings if OVO stops getting smart meter readings for whatever reason.

Plus you can check the daily smart meter readings. 

You have to be careful on the usage page as you can't tell if there are any estimated readings. 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage

Userlevel 7
Badge

… You have to be careful on the usage page as you can't tell if there are any estimated readings. 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage

You can usually tell if estimated readings are involved on the monthly chart. Scroll down to the table below the histograms; the figures given are coloured links to the daily usage chart unless they’re estimated, in which case they’re not linked to anything. This was the view of my usage table during a recent hiccup:

It all came right once the system had cleared its throat:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Firedog that’s very neat - I never realised. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Firedog useful, thanks. 

Hi can anyone explain why the total cost figure (£8.39) and half hour usage figures don't tally. As the first photo shows this has been exceeded between 1430 and 1530 without taking in the rest of the day. Which one is correct?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi can anyone explain why the total cost figure (£8.39) and half hour usage figures don't tally. As the first photo shows this has been exceeded between 1430 and 1530 without taking in the rest of the day. Which one is correct?

Hi @Clairesellars1 the 30min figures are kWh, the total at the top is £

Thank you DOH!