Solved

Storage heaters with smart meter have no power - what do I need to do?

• 24 November 2023
  • 4 replies

HI,

Recently moved into a flat with storage heaters which are not turning at all. Regardless of what time of day they do not turn on at all. They have switches on its side to turn it on with a light indicating whether its on.

From my limited knowledge they meant to operate during off peak electricity but this still hasn't worked.

They only work if I manually go onto my meter and start a boost and this then turns it on. I've contacted my supplier who said the meter setup seems to be correct so cannot do anything else.

Any help would be appreciated! I've attached the heaters and the

meter setup

icon

Best answer by Firedog 24 November 2023, 20:37

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Azan , what’s this switch for 

It’s currently off whereas it looks like this is the switch for the off peak circuit?

The meter takes care of switching off peak on and off so you should have the circuit on so the meter can switch on overnight. 
The storage heater should also have power to enable the fan to be used during the day and also in case you need a boost later. 
If that doesn’t work, it may be that the meter need configuration to enable the switch (5th terminal)

The picture is a few days old. I've turned it on and it's been on for 3 days now but still no luck

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

On your meter can you see the switches on the display in the bottom right hand corner?

One should switch on during off peak to enable the circuit. If it doesn’t, the meter needs to be reconfigured 

Userlevel 7
Badge

One should switch on during off peak to enable the circuit. If it doesn’t, the meter needs to be reconfigured 

Just to clarify: the picture shows the daytime situation. In the offpeak period, both switches should be closed. It depends on the configuration what this looks like (there might be cryptic LC2 symbols, for example), but there should certainly be a difference from what the picture shows. 

If this isn’t happening, Azan should ask Support to send the ECAUL command to update the ALCS configuration. There are many of us who have ended up in this situation, and it’s usually a simple solution. If this doesn’t do the job, it’s on to Plan B.