Solved

Smart Meter time of use tariffs? Is this possible?

• 28 August 2023
  • 13 replies

Hello.

I have an Aclara SGM1411-B. I would like to make use of one of the time of use plans so that I am charged less for electricity usage during off peak times.

Customer support says my smart meter can’t do that, but from what I have read the Aclara is able to support time of use tariffs and can also be remotely updated to do that.

So why am I being asked to pay (£100) for an engineer visit? Can the meter not be updated remotely?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 28 August 2023, 13:37

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO doesn’t currently do Time of Use tariffs other than Economy 7/Economy 10. What did you want to use that tariff type for @uniquerex ?

As it stands, your current meter suggests that you might not have a valid use case for E7 anyway - the cost during daytime hours are significantly more expensive than Standard Variable. It’s not worth it unless you have a use case.

Thanks for your quick response on a public holiday :)

My current plan is “ Simpler Energy” at a unit rate of 29.25p

Something like Simpler Energy - Flex Rate - 16/08/2023 

which has the same day rate and a night rate of 19.81p would be useful if charging the EV at night?

I put my postcode (N14 7**) into the plans.ovoenergy.com which is where the plan was mentioned

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There may be a better option.

What EV and Charger do you have?

Kia e-Niro with a Podpoint. It’s not compatible with the intelligent plan, unfortunately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In that case, the flex plan that OVO offered you is probably the best one atm. If you’re able to take it, the system will allow it. Otherwise, the system will block it

Yes, I think so. The sticking point is that they are stating the meter can’t support the tariff and that they want to charge £100 to install a new one. I am not going to do that, especially since they installed a new meter in December.

So I just wanted confirmation that they cannot make the change remotely.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’ll have to ask backstage, bear with me.

Sorry for the slow reply btw. I was in a meeting with the community team of another energy supplier (I’m too well known!).

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @uniquerex , I looked at the tariff page and can see the options you mention but the thing is, if your meter is not currently set up for multi-rate tariffs, then you can’t get one without a meter change/update. 
I’m in a similar position with an Aclara meter like yours but because I only had a single rate supply previously, that’s how the meter has been set up and because there’s an issue with changes due to their billing system, I can’t change to Economy 7 or similar. Others mention the same thing 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@uniquerex

I would recommend talking to Octopus Energy and see what they can offer with your meter. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

they are stating the meter can’t support the tariff and that they want to charge £100 to install a new one.

That may be correct. The Aclara SGM 1411-B is the ‘no bells and whistles’ model, with only one usage register. For dual-rate metering (peak and off-peak), you’d probably need a de luxe model.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Not that it helps in this case but my Aclara SGM1411-B definitely has at least 2 registers (labelled TOU1 and TOU2) alongside export and such … just looked to double check

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, ALL Smart Meters support multiple usage registers, including the Aclara SGM1411-B.

It’s only the Fifth Terminal that this particular model doesn’t support - which you wouldn’t need for your use case anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge

… my Aclara SGM1411-B definitely has at least 2 registers (labelled TOU1 and TOU2) alongside export and such … 

OK, thanks for putting me straight. I did say ‘may’ ...