Solved

Smart meter readings don't make sense, why is 1 month so different from the rest?

• 18 September 2023
  • 23 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi,

The electricity readings on the OVO website have started to look funny. Here are July and August. July looks fine. August looks wrong. (Half of May and June is also wrong)

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mike

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 20 September 2023, 13:26

View original

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @mboursnell what are the spikes on the July graph? 

You could check this page to see if any of the daily readings are estimated 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Jeffus 

The spikes are charging the electric car.  They tie in with the EV app we use to record when we charge the car.

Thanks for that link. They all say “Smart”

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

What should I do about this problem?

Can any of you OVO folks help? Thanks.

@Lukepeniket_OVO 

@Lucy_OVO @Tim_OVO @Nancy_OVO

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @mboursnell , your graphical usage does look odd but it is only there as a reference - I know it’s also useful. The only thing that is used for your bills of course is the start and end readings for the particular billing period.

What does your in home display (IHD) record for these months?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

If the spikes in July were when you chraged an EV, August only looks wrong IF you charged your car in the month, as there are no spikes. Thr normal level in both months is 4-5 kWh, so look similar to me. The different scales make them look different.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes we did charge the car in August, but it doesn’t show, so there is some error definitely.

I can’t go back and see the IHD readings from the past can I?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes we did charge the car in August, but it doesn’t show, so there is some error definitely.

I can’t go back and see the IHD readings from the past can I?

You should have a ‘history’ view from the menu - depending on your IHD. So it won’t show full detail but might be useful. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

You should be able to see half-hourly usage in the App or the website (as long as it is set!). In App see Usage → Daily view → Table view. Never looked at IHD for history!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

What should I do about this problem?

Can any of you OVO folks help? Thanks.

@Lukepeniket_OVO

@Lucy_OVO @Tim_OVO @Nancy_OVO

What does the 30min data look like on the Day usage tab. Can you see the EV charging on that? For example 

Also how does September look so far?

Have you looked to see what any of the third party apps show? For example

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

Userlevel 7
Badge

They all say “Smart”

You should be able to scroll back to the August meter readings as well, if not on the app then at the website (‘Show more’) (be sure to deselect Hide estimates). They look suspiciously like estimates from your usage charts, so are those readings also all smart? If not, that would explain this temporary glitch, which won’t affect how much you pay so long as you have accurate smart readings before and after.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I can’t get daily readings from the OVO website.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

...and, (I hadn’t noticed before) there are no meter readings for August, either Smart or Estimated.

It jumps straight from 31 July to 11 Sept.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Your earlier August graphics are estimated then. Does it begin to return to what you expect from mid September ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes it does. There’s a funny period in June, which is the same, then it seems OK, then it fails again in August, and now it’s OK. Here are May - Sept (axes change obviously)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Your meters can drop their connection now and then which is what appears to have happened to yours. That’s why some of us also use authorised third party apps which can sometimes help. 

It is your meter readings at the beginning and end of your billing cycle which determine your bill of course but the daily info can also be helpful. 
The Hugo feed in particular is very good at recovering missing data slots from the central data log (DCC). These are not accurate enough to add together for total usage (nor are OVO’s) but are good enough as an indication of usage

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

OK, thanks. Is it safe to give your data to Hugo? Who are they?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

OK, thanks. Is it safe to give your data to Hugo? Who are they?

They are authorised to collect your data from the DCC (which is where OVO and all suppliers get their data from).

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

They are one of a number of providers who also offer schemes similar to Power Move and switching services (less frequently at present). 
I actually use Hugo, Loop, Bright and SmartThings as I like to research what is available. I also used ivie (available from Chameleon who manufacture IHD’s) previously 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

...and, (I hadn’t noticed before) there are no meter readings for August, either Smart or Estimated.

I can’t get daily readings from the OVO website.

@mboursnell ask ovo to check you are setup for 30min smart meter readings if you can't see any. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@mboursnell are you making use of the the OVO Anytime tariff when charging your EV? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

They say we can’t have it because we have solar panels.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Which Charger do you have?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Rolec. Home smart EV..

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There’s your problem. Charge Anytime is compatible with Solar Panels, but ONLY if you have an Indra charger at this time.