Solved

Smart meter isn't working but I can't submit a manual reading either - What's the solution?

Our account homepage says the smart meter isn’t sending a reading and could we help by submitting a reading. But clicking on ‘submit a reading’ leads to a page saying we have a smart meter and don’t need to submit a reading… There’s no email contact on the support page to submit a reading. What’s the solution please?

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 9 December 2022, 12:14

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I was stuck in that loop a few months ago, it was on the old ‘legacy Apollo’ system though. Can you send a screenshot of the page where your meter readings are displayed (not showing your meter serial number though? Also can you see if your most recent bill has an estimate or an actual reading that matches your meter reading. It maybe that it’s coming through okay.

Thanks for getting back on this. See image for usage below:

Background: We were ‘migrated’ from SSE (following the merger) on Dec 2, 2022 so these are the only ’readings’. The usage for 3-6 Dec is definitely an estimate, hence why I want to correct it.  And then no readings at all yesterday or today. I saw the homepage message about “Mind sending one manually?” today and discovered I can’t!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ah. So, in the classic good news - bad news - good news style…

You are not on the Apollo system (that’s good!).

I would say your account hasn’t fully migrated over to OVO yet (sorry not sure how long).

It is quite likely that the smart meter readings will appear by themselves.

Well… the good news is that your advice is reassuring, thanks. The bad news is that I haven’t been able to confirm it yet with the support team;  I keep getting disconnected from the chat system before I get an agent to answer. And finally... it still seems strange that there’s a request for a reading, I know that there is a need for a reading, but there is no way to provide a reading. I’ll plug on. 🤔

Userlevel 7

I agree with Julia, as I often do - I bet this will resolve within 6 weeks of the migration start date. However if there’s not been any communication with the smart meter for 5 days or more, you’ll be able to manually submit readings via your online account, @lagopushttps://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

I'm having the same problem, keeps asking for a meter reading but my gas meter is blank, I have know idea how to contact anyone about it. 

Userlevel 4

@Yvonne Nicholls Does it wake up at all if you press any buttons? If not it's possible it's a dead meter. I think there's a battery in there but I don't know if it's serviceable by an engineer or not. Is is still sending readings and/or communicating with your In Home Display?

No I've tried pressing both buttons several times and nothing, my home display only shows my standing change. I've tried phoning them but the only button that let's you speak to someone is for vulnerable people, with this energy crisis they don't want to talk to anyone. 

Userlevel 4

Probably need someone a bit more knowledgeable on this stuff like @Tim_OVO or @Jess_OVO or even everyone's favourite helper elf @Blastoise186 to chime in since I'm running round in circles with page links that go nowhere. I have seen similar topics but most of the links that say "book a meter replacement here" just lead to the main support page where there's no info about replacement meters.

However, if you don't hear anything today I'd go to the support page and use the Live Chat feature near the bottom of the page 8am to 6pm weekdays if you can. It's a bot (I hate those things) but I believe that using the keyword Agent can get you connected to an actual person. It's supposed to be faster than waiting on the phone.

Tell them the meter is blank,that it hasn't been sending readings since whatever date, isn't communicating with your IHD, and pressing buttons won't wake it up. Definitely sounds like it's a dodo.

Thanks for your help anyway. 

Userlevel 7

Yep I don’t like the sound of that gas smart meter that won’t wake up it’s digital screen when you press buttons. It may be faulty. Our Support team are best placed to do some checks on our side, contact them via web chat here. Disclaimer: if the issue is a faulty meter screen I don’t think this is something they will be able to confirm but that usually warrants a meter exchange which then can help arrange.