Solved

Smart meter installation - connection problems - do all companies use the EE network for installation?

• 30 August 2022
  • 7 replies

We have tried to have a smart meter installed (by Bulb, our current supplier) but the installation failed because the mobile signal on EE where we live is too weak. We do have reasonable signal on other networks (Vodafone, O2). My first question is, do all companies use the EE network for installation? 

Assuming we are stuck with the EE network, would a signal booster help to make the installation viable? I am not exactly sure what needs to be boosted - is it 2G, 3G or 4G?

We live in Bedfordshire, in a village. So we are not isolated and otherwise have reasonable connectivity!

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 31 August 2022, 11:45

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @PHolly ,

That’s… Strange! SMETS2 Smart Meters don’t use the EE network, they use the O2 network instead for the Telefonica WAN in the Southern Territory!!! It’s currently running on GSM/GPRS, but will be changing to 4G in the future.

I think someone has messed up your installation pretty badly. There are booster aerials such as the T1, T2 and T3 Aerials that can fix poor coverage, as well as SKU2 and SKU3 Cellular + Mesh Comms Hubs that can completely bypass terrible mobile phone coverage by meshing to other Comms Hubs in the area.

Thank you, that’s reassuring! I have contacted lots of people and you are the first person who has explained that! The engineer said he needed EE for the installation, and then once it was up and running it would run on the O2 network.🤔

So if we switched to a different supplier there’s every chance it might be successful? 

Would it be our responsibility to have a booster aerial fitted before a smart meter installation, or would the energy company do that for us?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. I suspect the installers phone or tablet was on EE, that would make more sense. But the Comms Hub is definitely not EE.

You’d be welcome to switch to OVO if you wanted to. This would of course be totally your choice but if that’s what you fancy, give OVO a call on 0330 303 5063 and the Support Team can help you out. You’ll probably have better luck then - and a far better meter too! Aclara meters are way better than some of the other brands out there.

As for the booster aerial, nope that’s for the supplier to take care of. The installing engineer would bring along a bunch of them in their van as part of the job as it’s part of the standard install flow. You won’t be charged for it either as it’s all part of the service.

But just to be safe… Heya @Lukepeniket_OVO , what network is your engineer phone on? I’m guessing most engineers are on the same network as you, right?

Thanks - will be good to know if the installation on Ovo would need EE!

Userlevel 7

Hi @PHolly and thanks for this question. It’s nice to have non OVO customers here getting help and support by our wonderful Plan Zero Heroes. 

One thing, my understanding of smart meters using mobile phone signal to communicate is that the comms hub uses whichever mobile network is strongest. I.e it’s not limited to only O2.

@Blastoise186 are you able to link to any resources you’ve filed away on this so we can get some certainty? If need be I can ask the question to our secret smart meter friend in OVO who knows all things... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 26/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

That’s… Strange! SMETS2 Smart Meters don’t use the EE network, they use the O2 network instead for the Telefonica WAN in the Southern Territory!!! It’s currently running on GSM/GPRS, but will be changing to 4G in the future.

I suspect the installers phone or tablet was on EE, that would make more sense. But the Comms Hub is definitely not EE.

my understanding of smart meters using mobile phone signal to communicate is that the comms hub uses whichever mobile network is strongest. I.e it’s not limited to only O2.

That’s true for SMETS1 Meters which have multi-network SIM Cards in them, but not for SMETS2. :)

are you able to link to any resources you’ve filed away on this so we can get some certainty? If need be I can ask the question to our secret smart meter friend in OVO who knows all things... 

I think https://www.smartme.co.uk/how-they-work.html and https://www.smartme.co.uk/smets-2.html would be the best I’ve got to hand, backed up by https://www.o2.co.uk/business/solutions/iot/smart-metering .

But yeah, I suspect your sekrit smart meter friend will probably vouch for this too!

Thanks both!