Solved

My Honeywell SMETS2 meter screen is blank - Can I take a reading from my Chameleon In-Home Display?

Please help, my smart meter doesn't show any readings. It doesn't matter what button I press or how many times I press it, or what sequence, it doesn't work. I have followed the advice on here from Jess (we have the same meter) but mine shows no numbers at all. It just says meter initialised. Apparently Ovo hasn't had a reading since last October and require one.

Holly

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 3 April 2022, 21:21

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @Holleva !

You’ve got a Blastoise on the thread now. :)

Just as a heads up, I can’t access your account or make changes to it myself, but I can offer advice that will most likely help you out anyway.

It sounds like you’ve got a faulty - and possibly dead - meter which might need to be replaced. Could you show me some photos of it please? If I can, I’ll try to help you get it working again, but I can’t make any promises.

Thank you Blastoise, here's a

pic…

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries.

Unfortunately, I’d say it’s exactly as I’d feared, the meter appears to be dead. @Lukepeniket_OVO might have some more advice though as he's installed smart meters for quite a while now. But at the moment, my diagnosis is that the meter is toast and a replacement meter is the only solution.

Thanks Blastoise,  I've emailed Ovo. Hopefully should hear back within 5 days.

Userlevel 5

Hello @Holleva and @Blastoise186 and happy Sunday!!! 

The meter does look k-nackered if you cannot get it off of that screen and definitely would need an engineers visit.

Can I ask is your in home display working as its possible to get anmeter reading off of that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks Luke!

Assuming your meter was originally installed by OVO, I think you’re among one of the few OVO members who ever had an S2 Honeywell meter installed before OVO dropped them and switched to Aclara and Flonidan instead. OVO no longer installs those Honeywell meters either. I don’t know the official reason for the switch, but I’m guessing it was probably because they didn’t work very well and weren’t reliable enough.

If you end up having the meter replaced and the replacement isn’t a temporary spare meter, you’ll probably get an Aclara SGM1411-B, which is the same model that I have. We know these meters well and I can vouch for Raichu being rock solid to date in the year that I’ve had it.

Thanks guys,

My home meter display seems to be working, but I don't know how to get a reading off that.

My  meter was installed by Lumo, I was only with them for a short while before they transferred me over to Ovo.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. If you could show us photos of your IHD, we’ll see if we can help you figure that out. I know almost all the common IHDs pretty well, so there’s a good chance I know how you can get a meter reading out of it.

Lumo was actually a sister brand to OVO a few years ago and was ultimately owned by OVO Group, so technically speaking, it was OVO who installed your meter. However, as you may know, Lumo closed down in 2020 with all customers transferred back to OVO.

Only a handful of OVO members were ever transferred to Lumo and all of them did so because they were interested in trying it out. Others like yourself probably joined Lumo directly and then got moved to OVO later on.

Or for a Chameleon IHD6, it’s Menu > Meter Info > Scroll right a few times.

If you have a Chameleon IHD3, it’s OK Button > Meter Information >Utility Button to switch meters

Userlevel 5

If you've got a geo trio 2 (I know right) Press the home button -> arrow right to go down to meters -> hit select 'O' then you should see your meter readings hopefully 🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Or for a Chameleon IHD6, it’s Menu > Meter Info > Scroll right a few times.

If you have a Chameleon IHD3, it’s OK Button > Meter Information >Utility Button to switch meters

It's  Chameleon IHD3

I've taken a couple of pics…

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Perfect! So at least that’s something.

Could you check the OVO Energy app and go to Account > Meter Readings by any chance? I’m interested to see whether that reading matches the last reading OVO received, what date the last reading on the account shows up as and what the reading was at the time.

That might offer some more clues as to whether you can use this reading from your IHD to submit for today at least. It’d still be worth replacing the meter anyway because ideally, I’m pretty sure you want to be able to get readings from the meter directly as well.

Oh, and if the meter does get replaced, you can probably score yourself a new Chameleon IHD6 or IHD7 as well. I’d recommend accepting it as you can have up to four IHDs active at once, and also because the IHD6 is a massively superior IHD to the IHD3.

Ok, just checked. The last meter reading was 4986 which was taken on 25/3/22 

If they've got a reading why is Ovo telling me they haven't had one since October 21? Or is that an estimated reading?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s possible the meter managed to send a single heartbeat back to OVO via the Comms Hub’s WAN Connection, or at least done something to make the WAN connection burp somehow.

OVO will also warn you if your smart meter hasn’t submitted a reading in the last five days, and prompts you for a manual reading. Any kind of actual reading at all resets this timer and clears the warning.

It appears the Comms Hub might be working, but I see no harm in a quick check anyway. You should see five green LEDs above the electric meter, marked SW, WAN, MESH, HAN and GAS. Please could you tell me which of these LEDs pulse and how often each one does so. It’s incredibly useful for diagnosing a Comms Hub fault. :)

SW, WAN, HAN, GAS every 6 seconds. There's no light on MESH at all.

I've just tried to enter it manually from the reading on the IHD, but it won't accept it.…

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks. That suggests your entire Comms Hub is healthy then. MESH is off because you’ve got an SKU1 Comms Hub which doesn’t support Mesh capability anyway, so that’s fine. All the other lights pulsing every five seconds is a Slow Flash and tells me the Comms Hub self-diagnostics are coming back clean at the moment. This is only applicable to the Toshiba and WNC SKU1, SKU2 and SKU3 Comms Hubs right now, and not the EDMI Standard 420 Just to explain each one:

SW: The status of the Comms Hub software.

WAN: The status of the WAN Connection back to DCC

MESH: The status of the Mesh connection to other Comms Hubs in the local area. Always off if you’re not using a Mesh connection

HAN: The status of the HAN in your environment

GAS: The status of the connection to your gas meter, if one is present. Always off if there’s no gas meter

It also seems as if the meter reading you’re trying to submit won’t be accepted right now. I wouldn’t be able to tell you why though, so I think it’s probably a good time for me to ask @Jess_OVO to stop by. She’ll be back in the morning, but I’ll continue monitoring this thread.

I’ll be here if you need me. :)

Thank you for all your help today Blastoise, very much appreciated. 🙂

Userlevel 7

So great to see you getting some tip-top advice on a meter reading workaround, @Holleva.

I’m wondering whether you weren’t able to log this reading due to the unprecedented traffic we’ve had on our online platforms over the past few days. If you’re still not able to log this manual reading yourself our Support Team are on hand to get that reading added to your account.

The team will also be able to get a replacement meter appointment arranged, as @Lukepeniket_OVO and @Blastoise186 have mentioned, it sounds like the meter screen has developed a fault there.

Don’t forget to pop back with an update - We’re always happy to hear how these meter issues get sorted. 🤙

Thanks @Jess_OVO it's still isn't taking my reading, I'll phone tomorrow. 

I've managed to send a reading in via the website, the app wasn't taking it for some reason. Thanks everyone for all your help. @Blastoise186 @Lukepeniket_OVO @Jess_OVO 

Holly 🙂