Solved

My electricity and gas are with two different suppliers. Can I still get smart meters?

• 16 October 2022
  • 3 replies

Hi I'm with  ovo energy for electric and eon for gas. I got told to get smart meters you have to be with same company for both. I don't know why this would need to be . 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 16 October 2022, 21:19

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @Shaz70 !

I’m one of the forum volunteers.

It is definitely possible to have an upgrade to both meters, even with your supplies being with different suppliers, but it’s much, much easier if they’re both with the same supplier. If they’re with the same supplier, it’s one job for both meters and can be done at the same time. Otherwise it requires two appointments (electric first!) and two different visits.

The meters that OVO fits are generally more reliable and easier to use (and diagnose faults on!) than the ones E.On has been fitting, so you might want to consider switching your gas supply to OVO before you request any upgrades. Price is no longer any different thanks to the Energy Price Guarantee, so unless you’re in a fix deal you’ve not really got anything to lose. But it would definitely make the process easier.

Some suppliers have been known to choke if you try to upgrade only one meter and not the other as well. Blame poor system design on their part!

Thank you .  When I got a fault on my gas meter.  Eon.  I asked for a smart meter told me no because I was with different supplier for electric 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. In that case, I’d definitely recommend switching the gas to OVO first. Given the electric supplier has to act before the gas supplier can do anything, you might as well have OVO do both together.