Solved

Low Voltage showing on smart meter, what does this mean?

• 6 March 2024
  • 3 replies

As of yesterday, we’ve been experiencing a couple of odd things involving one or two of the old lights being dim, slight flickering, and the bathroom fan being slow before today it not starting at all and the washing machine complaining of a power issue.

Surprised to find that the newer electricity meter installed by OVO self-reports supply voltage and it’s a shock; down varying between 185-200V! Have attached pictures of what it shows.

We’ve checked the reading when the consumer unit is turned off (so there’s no load on the supply) and there is no change. I understand that this is well below what is expected and should count as a power cut.

Just to wonder if anyone’s experienced this before, and if I should go straight to the distributor (UK Power Networks in my case) rather than speaking to OVO at all?

icon

Best answer by Mattipops 6 March 2024, 18:47

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Mattipops , those voltages are outside the allowed limits. I would certainly report to the DNO as they will need to investigate. 
If things were ok earlier and your neighbours don’t have a problem, there may be a wiring problem. 
Actually these new meters are meant to flag these problems directly so they may be aware

• UK limits are 230v +10% -6%
    so 216 to 253v

It’s no worries, in the end it’s popped and a fair few properties here are now without power and UK Power Networks are investigating. It’s likely one of the phases in the street has just been wiped out. Interesting to end up getting slightly early warning of the disaster! 😅

Thank you for the response!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It’s no worries, in the end it’s popped and a fair few properties here are now without power and UK Power Networks are investigating. It’s likely one of the phases in the street has just been wiped out. Interesting to end up getting slightly early warning of the disaster! 😅

Thank you for the response!

Likely to be the supply transformer or tap-changer. They will have a time limit to repair or put a replacement in place (usually a generator)