Solved

Just moved in and topped up but it was used up immediately, how is this possible?

• 2 February 2024
  • 4 replies

I added £70 to my account on Wednesday, after getting the keys to my new house. We were not officially moved in as such until last night, and my IHd is reading emergency credit? And so is outside, but I cannot fathom how 70 pound worth of electric has been used when nothing was turned on till last night? 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

icon

Best answer by Nukecad 3 February 2024, 16:58

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It might be worth checking the ‘state’ of the account on handover. Do you have your account set up and made sure the previous users didn’t have a debit on their account?

Userlevel 6

Updated on 14/02/24 by Abby_OVO

If the property had been empty for a while then even though no energy was being used the daily standing charges will have built up on the PAYG meter.

So when you topped up those accumulated standing charges will have been taken by the meter to get it up to date.

(I've seen it myself with a PAYG meter, once credit runs out they don't take the standing charge when on ‘emergency’ but will then take them next time you top up).

If you are still on emergency after topping up then the accumulated SCs may not have been fully cleared yet.

Whether you owed those accumulated standing charges or not will depend on when you became responsible for the supply.

Did you take (and photograph) the meter readings when you became responsible for the property?

When speaking to OVO , the money we had topped up with had been added to the account from the previous tenants. Problem has now been solved, thank you for your responses!

We’ve actually got a really helpful topic about what can happen if there haven’t been any top ups for a while and how to check for any outstanding debt on a traditional top up meter. To see more on this topic, check it out below:

If you’ve recently moved in, make sure to contact the Support Team to have your own account set up, and avoid paying any remaining debt from a previous tenant. 

When speaking to OVO , the money we had topped up with had been added to the account from the previous tenants. Problem has now been solved, thank you for your responses!

Userlevel 6

Good to hear that you got it sorted out.

Enjoy your new home.