Solved

IHD3 devices still being given out instead of new models?

I had my electric meter replaced with a smart one today, and the IHD that was given is not the IHD 6 but the older IHD 3. Not only that, it appears to be an inferior version of the IHD 3 with no rechargeable batteries (IHD3-PPMID-AAA). This specific model was not listed on the OVO website. There is a battery compartment for a single AAA battery, however there is an issue where if you unplug it from the wall, and let the device switch to battery power, the buttons become unresponsive and they remain unresponsive when you plug it back in. To get the buttons working again you have to reboot it by unplugging it and taking out the battery. So I decided not to use the battery compartment.

Are IHD 3 models still being handed out despite the IHD 6 being the newest model? And why are they handing out this inferior model?

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 31 July 2023, 14:08

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @electricbolt , there are a number of versions in use as far as I am aware. In fact there is an IHD 7 out now as well but models used depend on what’s available I believe. 
The version I have only has standard batteries not rechargeable but seems to work ok, although it doesn’t last long on batteries. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @electricbolt,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

As far as I’m aware the engineer will provide what they have available in their vans. There might be remaining stocks of IHD3’s. It may be worth contacting our Support Team to see if you can request a replacement and send back the one you currently have. In the meantime you can view your usage information online:

Keep us posted with how you get on.

Yeah, exactly the same for me - new install this morning 1/8/23.

Inserting a rechargeable battery produced no battery symbol, plus only the left arrow button gave any response.

Clearly a bunch of old meters being supplied with some rubbish firmware that doesn’t handle the rechargeable battery properly.

I am in conversation with the chatbot and waiting for a real person to contact me.

Update: completely useless, just a proforma answer (to a different problem). I give up.

Further update: A ‘new one’ is being ordered, but they are out of stock and no date for delivery. I’ll wait with bated breath.

Yeah, exactly the same for me - new install this morning 1/8/23.

Inserting a rechargeable battery produced no battery symbol, plus only the left arrow button gave any response.

Clearly a bunch of old meters being supplied with some rubbish firmware that doesn’t handle the rechargeable battery properly.

I am in conversation with the chatbot and waiting for a real person to contact me.

Update: completely useless, just a proforma answer (to a different problem). I give up.

Further update: A ‘new one’ is being ordered, but they are out of stock and no date for delivery. I’ll wait with bated breath.

The official manual states it only takes standard AAA batteries, non rechargeable.

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/chameleontechnology.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/IHD3-PPMID-AAA-User-Guide-.pdf

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

To be fair, a LOT of stuff that takes AA or AAA batteries gets fussy about rechargeable batteries. The 1.2V is often not enough for stuff that demands 1.5V.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I also received the IHD3 in a new install yesterday. Good tip about rebooting, thanks, after I unplugged and moved it, as the L/R arrows no longer worked

Zigbee version is 1.1.2, is this not the latest version? Does this version change whenever the firmware is updated?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It probably does, but firmware updates don’t come out very often - only when needed.

Is the unresponsive button issue something that can be fixed in a firmware update? It’s useless putting a battery in this thing if the buttons become unresponsive when unplugged from the power outlet and you have no choice but to reboot it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Is the unresponsive button issue something that can be fixed in a firmware update? It’s useless putting a battery in this thing if the buttons become unresponsive when unplugged from the power outlet and you have no choice but to reboot it.

Possibly, but I can’t say for sure.

Mind you, I do have a couple of bug reports open with Chameleon right now. I really should chase those up...

I had smart meters installed on 1sr Sept and I have been given an IHD3 too!  I unplugged it just so I could try and set budgets and wondered why the screen went blank as the engineer had told me it would have a 4h battery life when unplugged!  

Will be trying to get in touch with live chat tomorrow (only being available such limited hours is ridiculous) to request an IHD6

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The IHD6 has that battery, the IHD3 does not always have it.

You only get ONE IHD for free and suppliers don’t offer upgrades. This isn’t OVO specific so switching away won’t get you any other result - it’s the same across the entire market.

As for the Live Chat? It’s open on Saturdays as well.