Solved

How does an In Home Display show usage when I'm generating energy from my PV solar panels?

• 2 September 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello

I am thinking about having a smart meter installed, but I have solar panels.

From research online I understand that the smart meter British Gas use are compatible with PVs – which is great. But I would like greater understanding on the interface / the meter reading which will be displayed.

So for example:

- If I am using £1 of electricity an hour and its at night (no PV electricity being generated) how would that differ on the smart meter reading from using £1 of electricity an hour In the middle of a sunny day where my PVs are generating electricity.

Would it display the same cost usage (still £1 per hour) – thus ignoring the energy being generated, or would it display a lesser figure taking into account the amount being generated by my PV?

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 2 September 2022, 13:17

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 21/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Hi @Pinky_UK ,

All SMETS2 Smart Meters should be capable of handling exports just fine, especially for SEG purposes. Most IHDs can handle it as well but some do it better than others.

Exports are always tracked separately from Imports, so the only register that will spin at any given time will be the one that tracks whichever direction things are currently flowing in. The IHD should factor this in as well and hopefully show you what you’re exporting in real-time. It will also reduce the cost being displayed whenever your solar panels are feeding energy to your home rather than using the national grid to do it. :)

Badge

Oh - they sound great then. Thank you for replying, it is appreciated.