Solved

How can I get OVO to send the required commands to commission my smart meters?

Firstly. I should point out that I work on the technical side of smart metering so I do know a lot about the system and how it works.

I originally had smart meters installed by OVO in April 2021. I live in the CSP North region, so that means Arqiva radio network Comms Hubs (EDMI). The Comms Hub did not have a signal at that point but I believe this is reported and DCC then have to address the coverage issue within 3 months. 3 months later, no improvement, but I left it for a while. About 9 months later, I noticed that the WAN LED was indicating a connection (LF flashing), but no HAN connection to the meters. I then had another visit from OVO who ripped all the existing meters off the wall (new asset provider) and recommissioned the whole lot. The service requests to add the electricity meter did not complete and I am now left in the same situation. The WAN is showing as connected. I know how to join the electricity meter and can probably work out how to join the gas meter. However, I need to get OVO to send the service requests to the Comms Hub to add the two meters and the in-home display.

The thought of phoning customer services and trying to explain all this I know is going to end up nowhere. So how can I get someone to issue the service requests while I join all my devices? Or will I have to book another visit where they will try once and if it fails, walk away leaving me in the same position?

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 7 June 2022, 15:31

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @806cat !

I’m gonna be totally honest with you. It’s very, very rare I say this but I think you’ve completely stumped us with such a unique question, that it’s going to be a tough one to answer. Let me see if @Lukepeniket_OVO @Tim_OVO or @Jess_OVO can shed any light on this one though.

Hang in there for a bit, this may take a while!

To be completely precise, I need someone (presumably someone at OVO) to get a SRV 8.11 (add) command as described in the DUIS document to be sent to DCC for the electricity meter (ESME), gas meter (GSME) and in-home display (IHD). When that happens, I should be able to join all three devices to the HAN.

Userlevel 7

Updated on 03/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Hello and welcome to the OVO forum, @806cat.

Wow - great to have another community member with such in-depth technical smart meter knowledge. We love these type of trouble-shooting queries.

Just in case you hadn’t spotted it yet we’ve got a guide to our smart meter health check here. Carrying out these check and forwarding the results to our Support Team would be the first step we’d recommend to help our smart metering team to diagnose the issue. Whilst I can’t claim to fully know the remote commands you mention, our smart metering team are the experts in this area and will be able to advise whether these commands can be carried out remotely or would require a engineers visit.

Keen to hear if @Lukepeniket_OVO has any more insider info on those commands too. 🙂

To get the required SR to be sent we would need a job created in Aegis and either an engineer or SST (Site Support Team) to be able to send them.

In this case, @806cat, for security reasons we’re not able to take account actions here. We’d recommend linking the Support Team to this thread so they’ll be able to communicate what’s needed to an engineer internally though.

Userlevel 5

Hi all,

I'm currently on 4 weeks of paternity leave (thank you New People Offer 😍)

To get the required SR to be sent we would need a job created in Aegis and either an engineer or SST (Site Support Team) to be able to send them.

Jess or Tim, can I ask you guys to collect the customers details and forward these onto my OVO email address? I shouldn't be very hard to fins as I'm the only Luke Peniket in the company 🤣🤣 then once I'm back off paternity I can look at trying to sort this for the customer? I will have to brush up my North CSP region commissioning process mind as I'm central CSP.

I hope we can get this sorted for you! Am I right in saying the gas and IHD were left not in a fully commissioned state??????

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Haha, you little trickster Luke! Congrats by the way, you’ve earned that time off. :)

I should have guessed you’d be able to remotely commission just about anything. I’ll grab some popcorn because I think this might be fun. XD

Userlevel 5

I'll have to check with SST to make sure there's no errors stopping anything.... 

So yeah ill keep an eye on my emails over the next couple of weeks!

I hope we can get this sorted for you! Am I right in saying the gas and IHD were left not in a fully commissioned state??????

Electricity, gas and IHD are not commissioned.

Userlevel 7

I'm currently on 4 weeks of paternity leave (thank you New People Offer 😍)

Congrats @Lukepeniket_OVO - So dedicated still offering to help out here with a new bubba as well!

In this case, @806cat, for security reasons we’re not able to take account actions here. We’d recommend linking the Support Team to this thread so they’ll be able to communicate what’s needed to an engineer internally though.

Hope this helps get things sorted - Enjoy getting to know your new addition, @Lukepeniket_OVO 😍