Solved

How can I get my Economy 7 times changed so my underfloor heating comes on earlier?

I have underfloor heating in my flat which had night rate settings on the old meter. Which means the heating comes on between 12 midnight to 7.30 am. I have a smart meter now but being 63 and feeling the cold i need the underfloor heating coming on during the day. I need OVO to change my settings or explain to me the situation, do i need a new tariff etc

BUT after 2 long conversations with OVO staff who couldn't help at the time but promised to get back to me(they haven't) with information.

Anybody else had the same problems as i need to sort this out before winter

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 29 July 2023, 09:45

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy!

This is an easy fix. Please ask the Support Team to configure the ECAUL and ALCS configs for your meter via SMETS Commands. That’ll sort things out for you. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Dusty60 , presumably you have Economy7 then at the minute. I can’t tell from your post but if you won’t be using off peak as much then it might be worthwhile moving to a standard tariff. 

Yes on Economy 7 at the mo. Cheers 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes on Economy 7 at the mo. Cheers 

Depending on your meter type, your wiring may need an update. If it switches to off peak via an extra terminal, that circuit would control the underfloor heating. You can get that to connect to your peak connection but I would take care until you get the tariff changed as it will cost a fair bit on peak

Hi Everyone.

As i have got nowhere via chat and phone calls i sent a letter to OVO.

I did forward all your info but nobody acknowledged this as an answer.

I  now been told i need a 3 phase meter at a cost of £325 to eliminate the time switch.

As far as I'm aware when i had the existing smart meter fitted there was no concern over a time switch , it was just fitted. Surely the time switch is elsewhere.

Who is allowed to explore my electricity cables and meter, does it have to be my supplier

Im at my wits end

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you just need a tiny boost during the day, you could get an alternative heater, preferably not a halogen one though.

It’s your supplier who’d be allowed to explore those items. Electricians can’t touch supplier equipment.

Thanks for your reply

I actually have an extra heater, ive had to get one because of this night setting .

So really i don't need a 3 phase meter, i just need an approved electrician to open my electrical box, find the timer and adjust it or stop it then get a tariff to suit my needs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see what you were asking now.

Sorry, but that timer cannot be touched by any electrician - it belongs to the supplier and cannot be modified by anyone. The only way off it is to eliminate your Economy 7 tariff outright.

So if i cancelled the economy 7 tariff this would give me access to my underfloor heating 24 hours a day ???

Why am i on economy 7 tariff anyway, what does it mean and what are the alternatives.

Will it be cheaper changing to another tariff, im getting totally lost now and dont understand why nobody at OVO can explain and sort out what should be simple operation for an educated operative.

Thank again  

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you have underfloor heating, E7 is probably not right for you. I cannot tell you why you’re still on it though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Dusty60 an economy 7 tariff gives lower off peak (over night) electricity but the peak (day rate) is higher than standard. As the supplier sets these rates, that’s why no one else can adjust the timer. 
You could change to a standard rate but that wouldn’t give any off peak price as all times are priced at standard rate. 
The rates vary by region so you would need to check for yourself. 
https://plans.ovoenergy.com/

So basically if i change my tariff my underfloor heating will work 24 hours a day if need rather than just on the night rate ??

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

So basically if i change my tariff my underfloor heating will work 24 hours a day if need rather than just on the night rate ??

Yes

Thank you so much

I am looking into this as we speak

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge

Why am i on economy 7 tariff anyway, what does it mean and what are the alternatives.

Economy 7 (E7) is a plan devised to use electricity at a cheaper rate during seven hours at night when demand is lowest. When combined with night storage heaters, it can be an effective way of heating a house; these are basically just ordinary heating elements running through a load of special bricks. The bricks absorb heat while the elements are on, then release it slowly during the day. It’s likely that there were once storage heaters in your flat, which were later replaced by underfloor heating.

It’s the Distribution Network Operator (DNO) that lays down the times when they’re prepared to sell electricity at a discount, so not even your supplier can change this.

As you’ve discovered, E7 isn’t the right sort of tariff for houses with underfloor heating, or indeed any other sort of electric heating unless there are also batteries that could store the cheaper electricity for use during the day. You’ll have a nice warm house during the night, but it will be cold during the day. Batteries are still very expensive, though. If your underfloor heating is wired such that it only turns on during E7 hours, you’re better off without E7. On a standard tariff, you would pay the same price per unit all day; it will be more than you’re currently paying during the night, but less during the day. You should be able to see the difference on the Plans page. 

It should be possible to have this changed remotely by the support staff.