Solved

Gas Smart meter has a reading of all zeroes on the display and no charges on bill

• 8 November 2023
  • 17 replies

Brief Background: I live alone in a 2nd (top) floor flat in a newish block of six flats, so relatively low usage.  The electric meter is in a cupboard under the stairs in the communal area entrance, and the gas meter is outside on an exterior wall at ground level.  Point to point distance between them is probably about 15 metres.  The IHD is on the edge of the range to pick up a signal from the meter, and fluctuates with being connected and offline.

I had smart meters fitted in June after holding out for years given all the problems I heard about them from other people.  When they were fitted the engineer said he wasn’t sure if he’d be able to change the gas meter due to it’s distance from the electric meter.  However after checking it, he said it was fine and both were replaced.  The electric meter switched on my account fairly quickly, but the gas meter hadn’t changed after a couple of weeks but I was told to allow 6 weeks and it did eventually change.

Since the whole premise was that it would send it’s own readings, I never really paid any attention to the meters or my bills.  I was told if the meter had communication issues, eventually OVO would ask for a manual reading.  I’ve never at any point had any emails, texts, letters or phone calls to say they were not getting a reading.

Fast forward to this week, when I finally caved and put the central heating on, I wanted to know how much that had cost.  Looking at my account, I see 0 gas usage!  Scrolling back through my account on the app I see no gas usage at all until around the 19th October at which point  it starts showing usage but it’s typically the same value (all within 1kWh) for each day even on days when I’ve used no heating compared to days when it was on for four hours!  When I look at my account on the webpage it has readings of 0000 until 19th October, and then no readings since.  Electricity seems to be perfectly fine btw.

That was when I went to go and do a manual reading, and the display on the gas meter has a string of zeroes on it!!!  It’s almost like someone forgot to start the meter counting!  At no point did I lose my gas supply.

I’ve filled out the form for smart meter issues, but it’s saying I will get a response within 45 working days!  As much as I like the idea of “free” gas I want this sorted so I know how much of a potential bill I’m facing (although how would usage be worked out, if the meter says 0?).  I did the usual checks and the SW, HAN, WAN,  and GAS lights are all flashing every 5 seconds as I believe is expected.

Has anyone come across this before, or got any ideas what happened?  I’ve attached pictures of the meter displays (the lights are on because it was mid-flash, they do not stay on).

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 10 November 2023, 08:55

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi!

This isn’t a case of the meter “counter not being switched on” - it’ll always record any gas usage detected from the moment it leaves the factory. The meter clearly has a signal so this isn’t a Comms issue either - the form you used is therefore the wrong one I’m afraid.

Try running some gas for a couple of hours and see if that does anything. If it doesn’t, please let the Support Team know: https://ovoenergy.com/help .

Hi!

This isn’t a case of the meter “counter not being switched on” - it’ll always record any gas usage detected from the moment it leaves the factory. The meter clearly has a signal so this isn’t a Comms issue either - the form you used is therefore the wrong one I’m afraid.

Try running some gas for a couple of hours and see if that does anything. If it doesn’t, please let the Support Team know: https://ovoenergy.com/help .

Thanks for the response.  I’ve been using gas since June with it and the meter hasn’t moved off zero at all in that time, so it’s had plenty of usage to try and kick in.  Guess I’ll try the Support Team.

Userlevel 7

Yes I would recommend our Support team, @Necula. After you put on your central heating, is the reading still showing 0?

Yes I would recommend our Support team@Necula. After you put on your central heating, is the reading still showing 0?

I’ve got a call out with support who confirmed it is communicating but that it has a reading of 0.  As I said I’ve been using gas since June for hot water, and a couple of times recently for the central heating and it literally hasn’t moved off 0 since it was fitted in June despite regular gas usage.

Userlevel 6

I suppose the question that has to be asked here is if you are sure that gas meter is connected to your flat?

Could it be connected to another flat that is empty, or not using any gas?

In other words did the engineer change the wrong gas meter?
If that is what has happened then your gas supply is going through a different meter - one which is no longer associated with your account because the newly fitted one is now associated with your account. (Even though it isn’t actually connected to your flat).

There is usually an isolating lever/valve at the meter that you could shut off and then check if you still have gas in your flat with that supply through that meter cut off.
If you still have gas with that meter isolated then it’s obviously coming through a different one.
If theres no gas at your flat with that meter isolated then it’s the correct meter, which is faulty.

(My own account has since May been showing a smart meter zero usage for gas, in my case that’s because the engineer could not change the gas meter (no linking signal) so left the old one in place.
But my account had still been associated to the new smart meter which was never fitted and is presumably now sat on a shelf or in a bin somewhere giving no readings. It looks like my case may now have been sorted out, but as this is the second time around that they have tried to correct it back to the old  meter and manual readings, only for someone to then change it back to the never fitted meter, I’m waiting to see).

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Necula 

You may already have done this. 

On the ovo app. Go to Account - Energy Tariff

You should see the MPRN and Serial number for your gas meter.

Compare the serial number with the number on your meter just below the buttons

Go here and compare the MPRN

https://findmysupplier.energy/

Userlevel 7

Some great advice above - definitely recommend this ^^^

Userlevel 7
Badge

​​​​Compare the serial number with the number on your meter just below the buttons

This of course ties in with Cad’s suggestion that the meter both Necula and OVO are looking at (“it is communicating but ... it has a reading of 0”) is in fact connected to one of the other (empty?) flats in the building, while the gas that Necula is using is passing through a different meter. If this is the case, the MPRN and MSN should match on site and on the account.

If all the gas meters are in the same place on the outside wall, Necula may be able to spot which one is registering usage when something major - e.g. the CH boiler - is turned on in the flat in  question, and hopefully which flat that meter belongs to. Then it’s up to whoever manages the building to get it sorted out, although it looks as if it was the OVO-engaged engineer that got it wrong, meaning that OVO will have to put it right at no cost to Necula or the property as a whole.

Update.

Thanks for advice above.  I’ve checked all the things suggested.  The meter number matches up with what is against my account, and confirmed on the MPRN site that was listed above.

The meter sits in a box outside the block with two others for that side of the building.  Each meter is in it’s separate box and I’ve been here for over a decade so I know the correct meter was definitely swapped out and connected to my gas supply.

Even if something funky had happened, none of the properties in my block are empty so there would have been some gas usage by someone.

Finally got an engineer coming after it was decided nothing can be done remotely.  They will be here in January!! So I’ve got another two months of gas usage with no idea of how much I’m using or how much it’s costing me right in the middle of winter.

I now know why I resisted Smart Meters for all those years….

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Update.

Thanks for advice above.  I’ve checked all the things suggested.  The meter number matches up with what is against my account, and confirmed on the MPRN site that was listed above.

The meter sits in a box outside the block with two others for that side of the building.  Each meter is in it’s separate box and I’ve been here for over a decade so I know the correct meter was definitely swapped out and connected to my gas supply.

Even if something funky had happened, none of the properties in my block are empty so there would have been some gas usage by someone.

Finally got an engineer coming after it was decided nothing can be done remotely.  They will be here in January!! So I’ve got another two months of gas usage with no idea of how much I’m using or how much it’s costing me right in the middle of winter.

I now know why I resisted Smart Meters for all those years….

Blimey January is a long time @Necula 

If you post how it goes it might be useful for others

Userlevel 7

@Jeffus January does seem to be a long time, I know that over the Christmas period there is less engineer availability due to holiday.

Typically any kind of non-emergency faulty meter exchange or maintenance booking would be 17 working days. 

@Necula once the new meter is installed, the billing team will estimate your usage for that period based on your previous and subsequent usage. 

UPDATE

The engineer came out this week and replaced the gas meter and the display has now finally started moving off zero, so at least I can now give manual readings.  I asked him if he’s ever seen anything like this before and he hadn’t.

My account now has the updated meter serial number, but hasn’t sent any readings yet so far.  All the lights look good, so I’m assuming this is something that will just take some time to be initialised and setup maybe?

I’ll give it a few weeks, but worst case scenario I can at least give a manual reading now so that’s some improvement at least.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nice! Yeah, takes about six weeks to fully set up.

You can check the status using a neat too we came across recently. Try n3rgy data Smart Meter check but please don’t share the results publicly unless you’re able to redact all personal info including your MPAN and MPRN.

Nice! Yeah, takes about six weeks to fully set up.

You can check the status using a neat too we came across recently. Try n3rgy data Smart Meter check but please don’t share the results publicly unless you’re able to redact all personal info including your MPAN and MPRN.

Thanks, that’s a really useful tool. It’s still showing the old meter for my MPRN as expected, but at least I can check in there periodically to see if it changes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Cool. It’s been added to the forum volunteer toolkit, so you may see us using it more often from now on. So far, the testing we’ve done against it today has been very promising!

In my case, it even picks up both my IHDs correctly!

Nearly 8 weeks after the meter change and still no update on the n3rgy site.  My OVO account has the correct meter number for gas, and all the right lights for comms on the electric meter but still not taking auto readings for gas.

The IHD is also still showing no reading for the gas meter.

Userlevel 6

Hi @Necula 

Sorry you’re still experiencing issues with the gas meter readings.

As we don’t have account access here at the Forum, you’ll be best to contact the Support Team from here so they can look into this for you and help get the matter fixed.

There could be a few reasons for this that we’ve seen previously on the Forum regarding readings on new meters, even after the initial 6 weeks. Sometimes it’s been as simple as updating the meter reading schedule if it was set incorrectly on setup.

Keep us updated with how you get on.