Gas meter incrementing with supply isolated

• Carbon Cutter****
  • 6 replies

On return from holiday, I noted that gas usage was indicated when there had been no demand.  Subsequent checks, after a no-fault leak test, confirmed that with no demand, gas usage of nearly 0.5 cu. m. per day is being registered.  Postings on Money Saving Expert’s forum (Gas Meter Still Increasing Whilst Gas Isolated) refers) triggered me to wonder whether my meter could also be incrementing when the gas supply is isolated - and it is!

The meter is a Landis & Gyr Libra 310P.  The meter label appears to show an installation date of 2011, and after the cu. m. consumption display, the character ‘F’ is displayed. I would be interested to know what the ‘F’ indicates?

L&G Libra 310P

I intend to put in a complaint to Ovo Energy and would welcome any observations, guidance, etc.  I’m guessing that the battery would have a nominal 10 year life, but clearly if in use since 2011, it may be fairly low in charge now.  Could this account for the erroneous incrementing it is demonstrating?

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

Forum volunteer here. We don’t work for OVO, so we’re independent.

I don’t think low battery by itself would cause this, it’s more likely the calibration has gone out of line and the meter needs a Meter Accuracy Test. It’s possible the F means “Fault” in that the meter knows something’s wrong, but I can’t say for sure.

The best solution here is to request an OFMAT (the meter accuracy test for gas meters) and consider upgrading to Smart Meters as part of the deal. If the meter is found to be inaccurate beyond the allowed tolerance, you’ll get the test fee back and a refund for the excess.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

A quick look around suggests this particular model has been reported to do what you are describing @mhol . The suggestion from Blastoise to have a meter check is a good idea as several others appear to have had success in resolving by doing just that. 
Incidentally ‘F’ usually means friendly credit mode but I haven’t seen this on gas before 

Edit: actually I just found this relating to a similar meter 

Many thanks for reply Blastoise186.  What are the allowed tolerances for meters?  Could any incrementing at all of the meter, when the gas supply is isolated, be interpreted by Ovo as acceptable?  I’ve taken photos of the display at roughly hourly intervals where the display has incremented by typically 020 cu. m. each time, showing the isolating valve in the off position, but being a cynic, Ovo could argue that the supply may have been connected in between photos.  Is a long video the only way to present the fault irrefutably?

To be clearer:  typically 0.020 cu. m.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

From their help file ..

• If you believe your meter is clocking too fast or too slowly you can arrange to have a meter accuracy test (MAT) or an OFMAT for gas. There is a charge for the test which is refunded if the meter is proven to be faulty. The charges are £149 for MAT or £157 for the OFMAT. More info on costs here
  • If a meter accuracy test has determined that a meter is clocking too fast by at least 2.5% or slow by at least 3.5% we will need to complete a faulty meter exchange. Please note that for OFMATs, the gas meter is replaced as part of the OFMAT appointment.
  • If the meter is deemed faulty and once the faulty meter exchange has been completed we will be able to re-bill your account, factoring in the results of the MAT test. We do not recalculate the removal reading if the meter is confirmed as slow. 
Userlevel 7

Hey @mhol,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

There is information on our website about gas leaks:

Gas emergency

If you can smell gas or think you have a gas leak: 

• Do open doors and windows to let the gas escape
  • Do check your gas appliances are switched off
  • Do call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999
  • Do turn your gas off at the isolation switch (if you know where it is), then wait outside, and let your neighbours know.
  • Don't switch lights on or off, use doorbells, mobile phones or use any electrical switches.
  • Don't smoke, light a match or use any other kind of naked flame.
  • Don't go back into your home until you’ve got the all-clear.

If you're worried fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999. For further information about gas safety in the home check out our guide here

Hey @mhol,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

There is information on our website about gas leaks:

Hi Emmanuel,

As I noted in my original posting, I have had a no-fault gas leak test and my meter is incrementing when isolated from the gas supply.

Userlevel 7

If you’re convinced the meter is clocking when it shouldn't, @mhol, you can book in a meter accuracy test to have the meter removed and tested. 

As you’ll pay for this upfront (you’ll get this refunded and your charged recalculated if the meter is confirmed as faulty), it’s worth ruling out other things first:

I’ve got high gas usage, should I check my boiler?

The most likely cause of an unexplained increase in how much gas you’re using (and it’s always worth checking your usage against the same period last year, as it’s very seasonal!) could be down to a faulty gas boiler. A boiler which is older or potentially faulty can use more gas to achieve the same heat output. If you’ve got the OVO Homeplan, an annual boiler check is included to make sure your boiler health is checked regularly. If you don’t have this, it might be worth considering contacting a gas safe engineer to make sure your boiler’s in tiptop condition.

From their help file ..

• If you believe your meter is clocking too fast or too slowly you can arrange to have a meter accuracy test (MAT) or an OFMAT for gas. There is a charge for the test which is refunded if the meter is proven to be faulty. The charges are £149 for MAT or £157 for the OFMAT. More info on costs here
  • If a meter accuracy test has determined that a meter is clocking too fast by at least 2.5% or slow by at least 3.5% we will need to complete a faulty meter exchange. Please note that for OFMATs, the gas meter is replaced as part of the OFMAT appointment.
  • If the meter is deemed faulty and once the faulty meter exchange has been completed we will be able to re-bill your account, factoring in the results of the MAT test. We do not recalculate the removal reading if the meter is confirmed as slow. 

Thank you BPLightlog for OFMAT info.  I’m still trying to progress my issue (gas meter incrementing even when isolated from gas supply) through Ovo Complaints but it is hard work.  I have had 2 appointments arranged for meter removal for OFMAT testing (both 5-6 weeks into the future), but  both then cancelled “due to SMS availability”.  I’m not clear what this means - can you enlighten me please?

Also, with the nature of my meter problem, is an OFMAT really the best approach, although I do accept the meter is faulty and needs removing for replacement?  Firstly, with the nature of the fault, it can be readily demonstrated and quantified with the meter in situ as I have shown with the evidence that I have provided to Ovo.  And, as I understand the OFMAT process, meters are initially capped and isolated for a period with meter readings taken at the start and end of the isolation period. If these readings differ, the meter is declared faulty and excluded from any further OFMAT accuracy testing.  In order for Ovo to be able to refund me for the gas that I have not used but have been charged for, these before and after readings are critical.  Do you know whether these readings are passed back to Ovo, or perhaps just ignored because the meter has been confirmed as faulty and rejected from OFMAT?
Any light you can shed will be much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @mhol , I didn’t realise this was still ongoing. 
SMS are a 3rd party provider who provide meter and other services to the industry. With several weeks notice it’s difficult to understand the cancellations. 
I don’t have detailed knowledge of the testing itself unfortunately so I’m not sure I can help with that part of your question but someone else might. 
The thing with the meter accuracy test - unless you can get OVO to accept that it’s faulty without - is that the test usually takes place under controlled conditions, like in a laboratory or test facility. The meter is swapped out as far as I understand. As the quote from the help file says: “ If the meter is deemed faulty and once the faulty meter exchange has been completed we will be able to re-bill your account, factoring in the results of the MAT test. 

Eventually, after several cancelled appointments, on 27 November my gas meter was removed by SMS, for onward transmission to SGS for OFMAT.  I heard nothing until early January when Ovo advised me that SGS lead times have increased and I would be updated at end-January when Ovo would contact SGS abain. Since then, despite sending emails to Ovo requesting an update, I have heard absolutely nothing. I despair and have emailed Ovo’s CEO - for the second time - to try and get some progress.  My complaint was first registered with Ovo in July 2023.  Have either, or both, Ovo and SGS ceased to operate?  Are any OFMATs being conducted?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

They are still active. This stuff just takes longer than ideal to perform I’m afraid. I know for definite that OVO hasn’t ceased to exist and OSINT checks against SGS confirms they’re still actively operating as well.

At last, a few days ago, 5 months after my gas meter was removed for an OFMAT, I have received the test certificate. This confirms that my meter was faulty and incremented under no flow conditions. You would think this was good news for me as it confirms that I would have been wrongly charged for gas that I have not used. No, no, no - Ovo sees it as good news for them. Essentially, the email said “Your meter was faulty. A rebill was required by assessing charges on new meter against old. When we used your most recent meter readings, it has shown we underestimated how much energy you use. We’re really sorry about this …blah, blah…but we undercharged you £239.38. You do not have to pay this money back - you will see a write-off on your energy account.”

Then “If you are happy with this solution, we’re really pleased we managed to sort this for you.  If I do not hear from you by 26 April [just 2 days on!], we will assume you are happy with the action and close this complaint.”

Note, no clue whatsoever as to the actual readings they used to make such sweeping predictions about my gas usage since October 2021 based on less that 5 months readings from my new meter.  And 2 days to respond, after messing me about for 9 months, or the complaint is closed!!. To top it all, before I had even thought about how to respond, Ovo sent an updated account, now “corrected” for their undercharging error!!

However, I have detailed meter readings and I did my own analysis, comparing Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar and Apr 2024 readings with exactly the same months one year previously.  And, not unsurprisingly, every month shows that previous consumption was greater than recent consumption with percentage increases being 34%, 11%, 27%, 31% and 21%. These readings contradict Ovo’s “rebilling” calculation (details not disclosed!) to such an extent that it looks as though my old meter was not only incrementing at 0.5cu.m. per day under no flow, but was also exhibiting a higher than actual consumption error that I hadn’t been aware of.

I responded to Ovo yesterday that I was not happy with, and did not accept their so-called solution, and submitted my readings analysis which clearly refutes their position which will be difficult, if not impossible for them to support.

When my anger with Ovo subsides, it seems I will need to go to the Ombudsman.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @mhol,

I’m sorry to hear this issue is ongoing for you. We don’t have the required account access to look into this on the Forum but if you reach out to our Complaints team below they can work with you to resolve this. 

If you need to discuss your complaint with one of the team you can call them on 0330 102 7400 (Monday to Friday 8:30am to 5:30pm) or email at complaints@ovoenergy.com. You can find our Complaint Handling Statement here, https://bit.ly/3DcsZdj, along with more information on our complaints process here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback.

I hope things get sorted for you soon.