Solved

Can I remove or disconnect my Smart Meter?

• 28 October 2022
  • 23 replies

Hi,

My smart meter is not working and I would like the Trillant hub communicator to be  disconnected/removed.

It’s a Landys Gyr E470 and a Trillant SEAP 2001 V.

I can’t see any power button on the Trillant. How can I turn this thing off? 

Can I just cut the wire that link it to the Landys?

Many Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 28 October 2022, 14:57

View original

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @kamelot ,

Please don’t cut the wires, as that will be considered meter tampering which you would be charged for. It’s also a safety risk - you might get an electric shock in the process.

You cannot turn the equipment off either. It’s designed not to have an off switch for anti-tamper reasons. Likewise, the Comms Hub cannot be disconnected or removed by anyone other than an engineer. This is only ever performed if the entire meter is being removed, either to upgrade it to SMETS2 (or any future spec) or to permanently disconnect the supply.

Please post photos of the meter and comms hub. We might be able to advise on how to get it working again.

I should, however, remind you that meter tampering is illegal under the Electricity Act 1989 and the Gas Act 1986. Please do not attempt it.

Thanks a lot with your quick answer. I have posted a picture.

I basically don't want the smart meter running in my house. I have read somewhere that there is a away to turn off the wireless part. From the Trillant specification is it emitting on 900Mhz, 1800Mhz, 2.4Ghz. 

I believe I have the right to limit EMF in my house especially if I don't want the smart meter feature.

Many thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 20/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

I see. In that case, I’ll need to explain a few things. This is more or less the same explanation I give anytime anyone posts this type of question.

Firstly, I’m afraid you have no legal or human right to restrict or block EMF activity, not least because it’s literally completely impossible to block ALL of it coming into your property.

Even if some kind of EMP event was to wipe out all technology on the entire planet at once, there’d still be loads of background EMF from tons of natural sources - the Earth’s Core being one of them - and a pretty strong one at that!

You could even move to Timbuktu or Antarctica, and you’d still be exposed to the stuff. In the latter case, probably more than you might think due to the nature of that part of the world.

On top of that, ALL electrical and electronic devices emit EMF in one way or another. So what you’re basically saying is that you don’t want an electricity supply? You are also saying that you don’t want central heating of any kind, you don’t want a microwave oven… And you want to turn off the sun or literally any kind of light sources at all? Because all of that stuff is on the EMF Spectrum. So unless you want to plunge the entire universe into the stone ages, I’m afraid there’s nothing you can do to restrict EMF coming into your property. And that’s ultimately one of the reasons why you don’t have a legal or human right to restrict it - because it’s just impossible.

There used to be the ability to have the ZigBee HAN and Smart Functionality disabled completely with SMETS1 kit, but that functionality no longer exists at all with SMETS2 and has been de-activated and blocked with SMETS1 Meters - especially those that migrate to DCC. You can no longer make such requests as they will be denied. You cannot turn this functionality off by yourself either for anti-tamper reasons. Any attempt to do so may trigger an immediate tamper alarm - and these do get investigated.

Once commissioned, the Smart Functionality is permanently on until such time the equipment is decommissioned, which is only done if the equipment is being permanently removed by an authorised engineer.

Likewise, the meter remains property of the supplier at all times. The equipment that gets installed is at the discretion of the supplier - you have no say over that. If the installing supplier chooses to install Smart Meters, then once the install is completed you are committed to keeping them. By the same token, if you move into a property where Smart Meters are already present, there is no downgrade option to revert back to traditional legacy meters. Not least because all the stocks of those have basically been depleted at this point and there’s effectively none left in inventory to deploy.

It looks like your Smart Meters were installed by British Gas back in the SMETS1 days. They’ll be reactivated once they’re migrated to DCC via Enrolment & Adoption.

Please I want my smart meter disconnected I prefer sending the regular monthly readings my smart meter has been giving high and erroneous energy usage.

I want my smart meter disconnected 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Misheal Where are you seeing that high usage data ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Please I want my smart meter disconnected I prefer sending the regular monthly readings my smart meter has been giving high and erroneous energy usage.

Hi @Misheal 

Can you give us some idea about where you are seeing the high and erroneous energy use?

Are you seeing daily readings with the word Smart on this page?

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

For example something like this. 

Hello, Before I got migrated to OVO I used 68 pounds per month but it’s surprising that my bill has gone over 260 pounds per month. Even when am not home with no energy used am just sick and tired of this, am a student and I don’t even stay at home most times

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m certain the smart meter is not the problem here - it’s the switch of suppliers from SSE to OVO. You need a Read Dispute:

I don’t know where all this reading originated from because what I have on my meter is quite different from this.may I know if the smart meter still sends reading when am not even at home with all my appliances turn off and I still have to pay over 200 pounds for what I don’t use

I recently cleared up my debit on Saturday have been out of the house since then. I checked on my OVO app at work am on debit of - 16 pounds when am not home and nobody is at my house and all my appliances turned off so where is this reading coming from is that not an error ? Please I need something to be done on my case

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You won’t have to pay if your meter reading is wrong on your account. This can be checked by a Read Dispute.

I’ll just check if you need to phone…..

@Tim_OVO does the customer always have to initiate a Read Dispute or are they triggered automatically if the reading/bill amount is way off ?

But have been paying despite the erroneous meter reading. I will still prefer sending my meter reading to see maybe there will be a difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Misheal ,

What do you mean by “disconnected”?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Understood - if you go through the Read Dispute process your payments are put on hold until it’s sorted out.

Please I don’t want the smart meter anymore am tired of the erroneous and high readings.I prefer sending my readings 

Please how do I go about that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see. I’m afraid disconnection is not possible. Once the meter is in, there’s no downgrade.

Try 

I have come across this article so many times and have done the needful. But why is it difficult for you guys to yield to my requests. You people keep insisting the meter is right but as a consumer I can detect a lot of errors with the smart meter. I hardly stay home but my smart meter keeps telling me I use 4 to 5 pounds of electricity while all appliances are switched off. Who is using it please 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Have a read of this

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/guide-to-meter-reading-disputes

and 

Phone: 0330 303 5063

normal opening hours are Mon-Fri 9am-5pm

but avoid Mondays as they’re VERY busy.

Thanks. I still can’t submit a reading with the link. Have made numerous call’s before now but all futile the surprising thing I was told I used a gas while the house is a full electric installed building so can you see where the error is coming from 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please contact OVO to get the ball rolling: https://help.ovoenergy.com 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Misheal,

Please be advised that @Blastoise186 doesn’t work for OVO. He’s a customer forum member. This forum is for customers to talk to each other. 

People here might be happy to offer you some advice about your smart meter readings, or your usage (are you referring to doubts around meter readings, or usage shown in the graphs?). Just bear in mind no one here can access your OVO account or discuss account specifics.