Solved

Been told I can't get a smart meter fitted due to metal casing- why?

• 10 May 2023
  • 9 replies

Yesterday engineer come to change smets 1 to smets2 and he  was checking electric smart meter he said I can't do it because the metal door the box is wood but the door only metal .any advice I really appreciate thanks 

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 13 May 2023, 12:47

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6

Hey @Dil1980 

Sorry you’re having trouble getting the electric meter changed. 

We don’t have access to accounts here at the Forum so we wouldn’t be able to see the reasoning as to why this booking couldn’t go ahead. It may be best to contact our Support Team to find out more information on why they were unable to fit the new smart meter.

It is curious that they say they were unable to fit the second generation (newer model) smart meter, what exactly did the engineer say to you about it? I’ve not heard of this type of box being an issue before, would you be able to share a photo of the meter and more so meter box, with us so we can get a better understanding of the set up?

Thanks for your reply

Engineer he's said I am not allowed to change smart meter because of meti door 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Dil1980 lots of energy suppliers say that they can’t install a smart meter if the enclosure is metal. This is due to the possible problem with the metal blocking the signal from the smart meter 

Most of UK property electric inside box like my flat too

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Most of UK property electric inside box like my flat too

Most of the ones I’ve seen are GRP

This is 2 smart meter 1 for my property other one for my neighbour .

All flat and house around here all same .

Userlevel 2

Interesting… When my Smart meters were installed a few years ago, we had a plastic type of enclosure. The council upgraded the external cladding of our property (or should I say theirs? 😂) 3 or 4 years back and at the time they replaced the old external plastic electric meter box with a rather large metal one. Our SMETS 1 meter continues to work just fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes there are exceptions but there is advice from the DCC who are responsible for collecting the data from the smart meter. 

There’s probably a way around it

Ok I understand that but my neighbour smart meter smets2 British gas. Why work for my neighbour no issues at why not working for me not make any sense.