Solved

Are there any phone Apps you'd recommend to view the data from my new smart meter?

• 13 April 2022
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I'd like to see and analyse the information my smartmeter generates.

For example I'd like to see a trend graph showing use and cost by day over a number of days. I'd also like to analyse my use of economy 7 off peak units.

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 14 April 2022, 14:18

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @TonyC ,

Yup there is indeed. You can use the OVO Energy app for Android and iOS for this, along with the Usage tab of MyOVO. To get the most out of this, you’ll want to make sure your meters are set to Half-Hourly mode as this will provide the data you’re after.

If it’s not already set, the Support Team can make the arrangements for you. :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply.

I have had a look round the app and the usage session but at the moment it only shows the pre smart meter data.

Perhaps as the meter was only installed on Monday its not showing yet. I'll give it a few more days.

Kind regards

Tony

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

OH, I did order the smart meter with half hour updates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. It will take a little while before the data starts flowing in, as the full commissioning process takes around six weeks. You might start getting data much faster than that, but please allow at least six to eight weeks before reporting any issues just in case it’s being a little slow.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thanks for the warning. 

One gets rather used to things happening instantly, even money moves between bank accounts in seconds these days, that it's a bit of a shock when stuff takes longer.

Never mind, still amusing myself by switching stuff on and off and shouting at my wife to ask "what have you just switched on, its gone up to 60p an hour?".

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Haha, yeah I know what you mean. Except for me I have double trouble because I've got two IHDs, both of which are the Chameleon IHD6 that I’ve nicknamed the Kecleon Brothers.

There are plans to massively speed up the commissioning process over time - and it already has made a ton of progress there - but ultimately there’s a finite limit as to how fast the process can be, while still maintaining the standards that are expected.

Fortunately, even during the commissioning process, your IHD will function more or less correctly although it might not be totally stable during the first few weeks. Please don’t panic if the connection drops out temporarily as this is normal behaviour.

However, if you need a hand with anything else, we’ll be on hand. :)

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the warning. 

One gets rather used to things happening instantly, even money moves between bank accounts in seconds these days, that it's a bit of a shock when stuff takes longer.

Never mind, still amusing myself by switching stuff on and off and shouting at my wife to ask "what have you just switched on, its gone up to 60p an hour?".

Nice to see a new In Home Display already being put to good use, @TonyC!

Once those smart meters are fully up-and -running you might want to check out our guide to the ‘Usage’ pages of your online account below.

Have you taken a look at our Greenlight feature too?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Interesting.

Just got to a section of this month's PC Pro magazine that has a whole lot about how to get more out of your smart meter and a full explanation on how the whole thing works. You can get direct access to the system your smart meter sends the data to before it gets to your energy provider. Might be this afternoon's entertainment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 14/12/22 by Emmanuelle_OVO

As an OVO member the best place to check out the data we receive from your new smart meters is our very own OVO app (download for Android or iOS)

For some recommendations of third-party apps check out our member’s advice on this thread. We should make clear that by downloading these apps you’re entering into an agreement with a third party app to grant them access to your usage data. As such we’re not able to help with any technical issues you experience when using these type of third-party apps and can’t guarantee their data security. 

Here’s what some of our other Community members have to say: 

Interesting.

Just got to a section of this month's PC Pro magazine that has a whole lot about how to get more out of your smart meter and a full explanation on how the whole thing works. You can get direct access to the system your smart meter sends the data to before it gets to your energy provider. Might be this afternoon's entertainment.

It is in Issue 332, June 1st for those interested. 

Useful write up, including on Bright which has been written about on this forum. The only thing i would say is the Bright app will update in the day rather than being a day out, simply refresh the data a few times and it will update with the latest 30min reading without the IHD CAD. There is also the trial site from the same company that lets you download your readings to a csv file https://smarttariffsmartcomparison.org/home

For those interested, if you have a library card you may be able to read the magazine for free online. Press Reader is a useful app for reading lots of magazines and newspapers for free with your library card. Not all libraries support it. 

https://care.pressreader.com/hc/en-us/articles/211272703-Library-Card-Sign-In

You don't have to be in the library to use it. 

There are other apps using smart meter data like https://loop.homes/

And the ive bud from Chameleon working with uswitch and Samsung smartthings https://ivie.co.uk/

I expect we will see more like this. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi

I just installed the “Bright” app from Hildebrand Technology on my Android smart phone. Only took a few seconds to get it working, entering the GUID number from the back of my in house device was the hardest bit - damn 0s and Os! After a minute or two it had found and downloaded my data and now I have nice graphs showing use in 30 minute slots through to monthly slots in money and energy for both gas and electric.

I also found under “Time and Use Rates” under Electricity Summary, the actual hours my economy 7 charges me the lower night time rate. I’ve only had it about 40 years and never known! I shall now put my dishwaster on an hour later.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Another app looking to do something similar by using data from your smart meters. Haven't used it myself. 

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/