Solved

Are Aclara SGM1433-B smart meters 'Vector Sum' compliant?

Userlevel 2

Hi

Eventually getting round to installing solar panels (various delays from all sides) and we are being asked by installers: -
“Is your three-phase smart meter (Aclara SGM1433-B) a ‘Vector Sum Supply Meter”?

Does anyone know how we find this out as the Aclara documentation doesn’t seem to confirm one way or the other…

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Lukepeniket_OVO 5 May 2022, 21:41

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @Mark C !

This is a really, really good question! I don’t think we’ve ever seen this one before. :)

I’m Blastoise186 by the way, one of the forum volunteers here but I think I’ve met you before.

From my understanding - and I literally had to look this up just now - I don’t think you need Vector Sum capability. That seems to be more for places that need an ultra reliable connection and are pulling in way more go juice than a domestic supply in the UK could ever be expected to draw.

You’ve already got the biggest, most powerful and most flexible smart meter model in the UK that I know of as well. Pretty much nothing beats the Aclara SGM1433-B unless you upgrade to a business supply. You are in luck however, as there’s a bunch of members with solar panels who might stop by, along with my ace card. How about I introduce you to @Lukepeniket_OVO , an OVO Engineer who knows a lot about smart meters.

Userlevel 2

Thanks Blastoise

You responded to a comment of mine around 6 months ago when I got the meter code wrong… got it correct this time 😁

From what I can gather I think they are trying to decide on what inverter solution to propose e.g. three phase, or multiple single phase due to a slight inbalance in usage across the phases.

The DNO has suggested “...balancing across the three phases (as far as practically possible) not exceeding 80A on any phase...”

I assumed that the Sum Vectoring requirement might be something to do with electricity generated per phase vs usage per phase vs ‘elec supplier charging’ - but I could be wrong.

Userlevel 5

Hello all and wow what a technical question!

I was sent this by my solar guy (its his bread and butter stuff), quite interesting and something I'd never considered with a 3 phase supply and a single phase solar system.

Which then lead me to Aclaras SGM100-B user manuals. 

And at the top of that document is import/export in the accuracy category.

So I'm going to say yes, the Aclaras are new meters so I'd be very very surprised if they weren't compatible. 

Userlevel 5

And reading your last comment @Mark C is it possible they meant Summation  rather than vector Sum? In which case yes the Aclara SGM100 will take 3 single phase supplies into it otherwise known as summation.

Userlevel 2

@Lukepeniket_OVO Thanks for the YouTube clip…

Does this mean I could have a three phase compatible vector sum meter but it depends on the ‘settings’?

Do you know who can or how can these be checked?

Thanks

Userlevel 5

@Mark C I've email aclara customer service so I'm awaiting a message back

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks Luke!

From my own experience, Aclara makes it pretty easy to get information out of them, especially with the ease of getting hold of their datasheets and user manuals. I just wish L+G would do the same. The last time I tried to get through to them, they completely refused me claiming they don’t offer tech support to members of the public - except I was trying to get information for a forum thread here...

Userlevel 2

I emailed them a week ago, with no response, but I am only a mere mortal in comparison to @Lukepeniket_OVO  😁

Userlevel 2

Any further news / update @Lukepeniket_OVO ?

Userlevel 5

Hello @Mark C, unfortunately not as I havent had a reply from Aclara either.

I would imagine being the most up to date meter that aclara have that they would be, I do know scrolling through the displays that they have both a import and a export showing.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Userlevel 2

Looks like I may have to just ‘suck it and see’…

Thanks for all the comments