Power Move Tip for heating!

• 20 November 2023
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1

For those using Electricity as their heating source. With the colder weather coming, program the heating to come on at 3PM till 4PM to warm your property up to minimise using Electric heating during the 'Power Move' slots and ensuring your nice and warm and still saving energy.

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

This also has the added cunning benefit of making your 4-7 usage “look good” when compared to total weekday usage outside the peak hours slot.

Also, some folk have suggested that even using other forms of heating such as gas combi boilers the same logic could be followed, though personally I’m not fully convinced as a combi-type circulation pump probably only uses around 80 Watts?  Usage would have to be really low to warrant tweaking such relatively small amounts.  But electric heating is a whole different ball game! 

Good luck with it…are you finding as we head towards Dec (already…incredible!) that your strategy is having quite a marked effect already?

Userlevel 1

I totally agree, this logic is good if using Electric Radiators over CH or HP heating.

I'm fortunate my heating is very economical, however as my mum uses Fischer's Electric Radiators she has seen a marked saving using my tips. Okay £15 month top gain from Powermove might not seem much, though for a 79 year old, it means she can use heating a little more as we head into Winter. (Where as this year gone 🤔😲 ) 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Definitely, £15 is £15: it covers, for example, the electricity standing charge for the entire month. Sounds like your mother (with help from yourself) is looking after herself very well.

I hope you and she have a thoroughly peaceful and enjoyable winter…

Userlevel 1

Thanks, have a Good Christmas too 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Cheers Bryan…and keep us posted on any more tips and on your Power Move…🙂

Userlevel 5

Totally agree. My previous property was off the gas grid and had electric storage radiators. Heating costs were brutal even with reduced off peak unit prices. As Waltyboy states £15 covers the standing charge for the month - not to be sniffed at if you're a pensioner! Great to hear from someone looking out for their mum!

Userlevel 7

Great tip there bryanianharper! 😊

Userlevel 3

Hi All

Does anyone actually get the half point email letting you know how you are going???

Userlevel 7
Badge

Does anyone actually get the half point email letting you know how you are going???

Yes. Received yesterday:

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Yes, I got mine yesterday too…bit over the halfway point, but nevertheless a reassuring checkpoint…

Userlevel 3

Thanks All

I found mine in the spam folder 

Userlevel 5

Mine also arrived yesterday and doing much better than last month (5.3 percent to date). Hope others are on track also. Good luck.

Userlevel 3

Hi Ian

Yes looking good ay 5.8

Userlevel 7

@IanFerguson and @Sally123 keep us posted with how you get on 😊

Userlevel 5

Hi Ian

Yes looking good ay 5.8

Hi All,

Achieved target for second month on a row. 6:35%. Christmas dinner paid for !

Hope everyone else is doing well!