Solved

I need a new top up key, how can I get a new one?

• 27 August 2023
  • 17 replies

Hi,

we went to the paypoint with the code provide by one os the Boost callcenter guy, they don’t have Ovo token key, can we use another company token to actiavte with the code?

Cheers

Natalina

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 27 August 2023, 20:22

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not really, they're supplier specific I'm afraid. You can however, request for one to be posted out to you. 

Updated on 05/09/23 by Abby_OVO

If you’ve lost your key or card or it’s not working, you’ll need to contact the team to arrange a new one. They’ll either recommend a stockist with compatible keys/cards near you to collect a replacement from, or they’ll arrange for one to be posted out to you. This will take between 3-5 days to arrive via post. If there are no stockists close by with devices, and you’re already off supply, or your credit won’t last 3-5 days to wait for a new device, the team will arrange an emergency appointment in the meantime to ensure you stay on supply.

For BOOST, you can contact the team on web chat between:

Monday - Friday (08:00 - 20:00)
Saturday - Sunday (9:00 - 17:00)

You can also reach the team Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm or Saturday, 9am to 2pm on  0330 102 7517. Check out the BOOST help page here for more: https://www.boostpower.co.uk/help/.

For OVO, 

You can contact the team on web chat or whatsapp between:

• 8am - 6pm Monday to Friday 
  • 9am - 2pm on Saturdays

You can also reach the team on 0330 303 5063 Monday - Friday 9am-5pm.

If you need to contact the team on a Sunday, our Social team is able to support you. Send us a message on Facebook or Twitter from 9am - 5pm. 

Hi Blastoise186,  many thanks for the reply. it seems that i have to call them tomorrow morning to do an emeregency top up , we went to  6 paypoint and none had any spare token key.

Best Regards

Marcio

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just a quick reminder that it’s bank holiday today and so I’m not sure what contact options will be available 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It may also be worth upgrading to a Smart Meter and considering coming off of PAYG to avoid this problem in the future. The rates for Direct Debit are the same as PAYG. However, the rates for Pay On-Demand are higher so I’d recommend against that option.

Hi Blastoise,

“ rates for pay on demand” what is this?

Regards

Marcio

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This is more or less the definition that all of the forum volunteers give out, including myself. We just like to say it in different ways. 

Pay On-demand is the reverse of Pay-as-you-go. You pay for what you used each month after you used it. However, you must pay immediately upon receiving a bill (you have a few days of grace period) and cannot leave it until later. 

Hi, I went to top up my meter key and it is not working (tried 3 shops) I don’t have much electric left at all.

It’s a standard meter with a green/dark blue key (SSE colours) 

anyone had this issue? Can you help? 
TIA! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @SA_Scott ,

It sounds like you may need a new key. Please call 0330 175 9669 and the team can sort one out for you. I suspect they’ll give you a TAG Code so that you can grab a new key from the shop. If so, please wait for one hour after getting the code before heading to a shop - and please register the key in the meter before attempting to use it for a top-up.

Userlevel 7

Hey @SA_Scott,

Sorry to hear about the issues you’ve had, 

Is this all sorted now? The following topics may be helpful if not:

How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

If you’re with Boost

Hi,

So I started renting this property in July and moved in properly in October. We took over the flats electric account in July during the move from SSE to OVO. We were told OVO were going to send us a new key fob for the PAYG meter - they did not (in the time between setting up the account and moving in), so when we moved in and needed electricity we used the old tenants key fob to top up and it worked perfectly fine (so we carried on using it). I recently contacted OVO regarding a past debt they had and then they tell me they’ll get back to me and to carry on using the key. I went to top up they key today and it failed in the 2 shops I tried in. So I try and contact OVO (both on phone and using the webchat) and on the webchat they seem to think I have a credit meter instead of a PAYG meter (this has happened multiple times and I definitely have a PAYG meter), furthermore in the post I’ve received a total of 2 letters from OVO, both containing different account numbers. Every time I’ve tried to sort this, it keeps going around in circles and now they key fob not working - I’ll run out of electric soon. Could anyone advice on what is going on/why my account numbers are different/why they think I have a different meter and any advice. Thanks.

Userlevel 7

Hey @bsf25,

So sorry you didn’t get a response to your query, is this all sorted now?

Unfortunately, we don't have access to your account on the Forum, you’ll need to contact customer support about this issue. 

How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

If you’re with Boost

Hi there.
Does anyone know, either on the Forum here or from Ovo, if there is a problem with payments today (11/01/2024)?

Electric and Gas bill has arrived, and my 84 year-old mum still pays the old fashioned way, with the old Southern Electric Gas and Leccy Payment Cards, which have always worked fine at the local Post Office.
Tried to make payments just a few minutes ago, and neither card was working/wasn’t accepted by the system.
Despite them being an obsolete payment method (OVO STILL haven’t replaced them!) they’ve always worked fine at the Post Office, and we’ve never had a problem with them until today.

Have had to leave it for now, as she has no other payment method currently, but any information as to why they aren’t working today would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Nevermind.
I just spoke to someone from OVO, who informed me that the Southern Electric and Gas Payment cards are no longer being accepted as payment methods, which is a complete pain in the proverbial, but that OVO are looking to replace them at some point, due to the amount of complaints.
Understandable, as a lot of older former Southern Electric Customers are used to paying with these cards at the Post Office once a month, and don’t like the change.
Let’s hope a replacement payment card or something is implemented soon.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s probably because ALL remaining SSE infrastructure has now been completely shut down.

Those payment cards were still sending the cash to SSE, which was then being swept over to OVO’s accounts on a regular basis. With the SSE infrastructure gone, there’s nowhere for the money to go, so it bounces back as failed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Nevermind.
I just spoke to someone from OVO, who informed me that the Southern Electric and Gas Payment cards are no longer being accepted as payment methods, which is a complete pain in the proverbial, but that OVO are looking to replace them at some point, due to the amount of complaints.
Understandable, as a lot of older former Southern Electric Customers are used to paying with these cards at the Post Office once a month, and don’t like the change.
Let’s hope a replacement payment card or something is implemented soon.

Yep, it really isn't great that the SSE infrastructure was closed down before OVO had an alternative in place.

Failing cards for old vulnerable customers must be extremely worrying for many.

It would be worth putting a review on the OVO Trustpilot site if you haven't already 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

Userlevel 6

Hey @DaveThorn76 

Sorry to hear about this.

I’ve reached out to the team for some clarification on this and I’m just awaiting their update.

I’ll pop back here when I’ve got some more information from the team.

Userlevel 6

Hey @DaveThorn76 

I spoke with the team about this and they’ve confirmed that if these are the old payment cards used for pay monthly customers these will have stopped working and you will need to select an alternative payment method such as Direct Debit, check out the home page for more on ways to pay: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/article/how-to-pay.

If the meters are pay as you go meters, you can get a code from the Support Team for the electric key to convert to OVO, and a new gas card will be needed. We would also advise looking to top up at a paypoint instead.