Solved

Changed from PAYG to Direct Debit- But now off supply?

• 7 October 2023
  • 8 replies

Hi All,

I changed from PAYG to DD last week after moving in. I had been topping up and was £27 in credit. I was told that everything would be sorted, but today, the electricity was off and the meter was saying -£3.52. I’ve been on a web chat for over an hour and have got nowhere as they (it) kept transferring me. Does anybody know what’s happening to me?

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 9 October 2023, 12:30

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @Jonny_BeeGood,

Sorry to hear this,

Is it all sorted now? It sounds like the meter is still in pay as you go mode.

I know there were issues over the weekend with paypoint having planned maintenance, and our customer support team who were in on the weekend and working from the office had IT issues. This may have affected your ability to top up. 

How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

If you’re with Boost

Hope this helps.

I pay by direct debit monthly. Ovo asked me to supply a reading for electricity - when I looked at the meter it was showing ‘meter balance’ and showed a minus monetary figure. Why? It looks like it might be something to do with pay as you go, which I”m not on, and I’m worried that my electricity is going to get cut off. Please help. I don’t like it that there does not seem to be any way of contacting Ovo on a Sunday.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @caroljoyce , can you show a picture of your meter? It might be useful for anyone who can help

Userlevel 7
Badge

… there does not seem to be any way of contacting Ovo on a Sunday.

The support teams on social media man the pumps at weekends, too. Use the blue button at the foot of this page to contact them via Facebook, or visit (1) OVO (@OVOEnergy) / X (twitter.com)

I am afraid I am one of the few who is not on Facebook or twitter, nor do I have a smartphone, so I can’t provide a photo of the meter either. I am pension age - and a dinosaur as far as these things are concerned.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @caroljoyce 

Unfortunately those are the only options for contacting ovo until Monday.

If you have a neighbour or friend who could post a picture of your meter on the forum you may find one of the regular customers who post on this forum can offer some suggestions before Monday.

Do you see any smart meter readings on this page. That is any readings with the word smart next to them?

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

Do you normally have to enter a reading given you have a smart meter?

You could try running a smart meter check

There are some links on this page depending on what meter you have

If you post how you progress on Monday it may help other customers on the future.

Hope all goes well.

Userlevel 7
Badge

You don’t have to be ‘on’ Facebook or Twitter to use them to get in touch with the OVO team. You do have to have an account with them, though, just like you have to have one to be able to post in this forum. It may even be possible to use Facebook Messenger without having a Facebook account - I can’t remember. Did you try? It’s probably too late now to catch them today.

At any rate, it’s very unlikely that your electricity is about to be cut off. It shouldn’t be possible over the weekend, but it would be wise to start investigating on Monday morning just in case something has gone badly wrong.

Dinosaurs like us OAPs are eligible for inclusion on the Priority Services Register. I’ve done this, but I don’t know whether it would help you to get quicker or better service tomorrow. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @caroljoyce,

Really sorry to hear this,

Have you spoken to customer support yet? I hope this issue is sorted for you.