Solved

Can we have our Warm Home Discount, applied to our gas account instead of electric?

• 17 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Please can Ovo, give customers, the option to have the warm home discount applied against the gas account instead of the Electric account. I heat my home with gas so it would be far more beneficial for me as, I assume, it would be for a lot of other people.

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 20 October 2023, 12:57

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not possible.

The rules for WHD are set by the Government and OVO has no ability to change them. It’s the wish of the government that the money goes onto the Electric because just about everyone has an electricity supply - and not everyone has Gas. Doing it to the Electric account makes it far more likely WHD delivery can be performed.

Also, if you’re on OVO Pay Monthly, you have a single combined account for both fuels that runs on a shared wallet - whichever fuel needs the money at any given time gets it first.

If you’re on OVO/Boost PAYG with Traditional Meters, you MIGHT be able to use the WHD Voucher on your Gas card instead of the Electric key. If you have OVO/Boost PAYG with Smart Meters, it MIGHT be possible to ask for the credit to be moved between meters later if you contact Support.

Otherwise, it’s locked to the Electric meter.

Thank you Blastoise 186  for your reply.  My letter from the governments DWP informs me that I am eligible for the WHD and  clearly states that I can request my energy company to apply it to my gas account so it obviously isn’t locked to the electricity by rules set out by the government. Ovo therefore, so far as the government is concerned, is quite at liberty, to apply the discount as requested by the customer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The smart move would be to pay the voucher into whichever fuel will take it if you’re on PAYG, then use the money saved by that fuel on the other one.

If you’re on OVO PAYM, you cannot specify which fuel gets the WHD because of the shared wallet and shared account model that OVO uses. The wording on the letter is generic and doesn’t consider any of these circumstances.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Seems reasonable to ask OVO to provide this option.

From the DWP

You may be able to get the discount on your gas bill instead if your supplier provides you with both gas and electricity and you’re eligible. Contact your supplier to find out.

https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I have voted for the idea, although I don't get the WHD. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @janina and thanks for posting this. 

I’ve moved this into the Pay as you go area as I think it’s a good question that others will have. 

If someone is a pay monthly credit customer, the warm home discount gets added to the account balance. This is a join pot for gas and electricity charges. 

If that person is a pay as you go customer with a smart meter, the credit gets added to the electricity meter by default, but it can be moved over to the gas meter. Just ask our Support team to do this when the credit gets added. 

For pay as you go customers without a smart meter, first off: get a smart meter fitted here. Secondly we’ll write to you explaining how you'll get your discount. I am not sure what this will be but I’m confident we will be able to help you get the credit where it’s needed. 

Lastly if you were supplied by us on 13 August 2023 and then switched to a new supplier, we'll send you a cheque in the post.

Thank you Tim.  It will make a massive difference to me at least for one. If I can see the credit on my gas account, I will be less afraid to put my fire on when I’m cold.  If Ovo will do this, I’m sure there will be very many pensioners like me, who will be able to keep a bit warmer this winter. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Janina