Solved

Can’t top up online, it says my card number is invalid, what can I do?

• 1 October 2023
  • 7 replies

The electric was turned off on Thursday as the company were doing some work but now I can’t seem to top up my meter as it says my top up card number is invalid, and as it’s Sunday I can’t speak to anyone!

icon

Best answer by Abby_OVO 2 October 2023, 14:37

View original

7 replies

Same happening here.

Trying to top up my Gas but it’s saying the number is invalid when it certainly isn’t considering I’ve never had an issue with it. I also tried to top up my Electricity to see if it was an error with the Gas but I’m getting the same message there too. It’s saying both my top up numbers are invalid and I’ve even copied and pasted the numbers from my email receipt from my last top ups to make absolutely sure I’m not entering anything wrong.

It’s a Sunday and there’s no way to contact anyone over the phone to ask what’s going on so feeling lost

Hope it you can get it sorted, but be prepared for a battle. I’ve been ringing them since Thursday to get mine fixed. Still not working. £10 left of the emergency credit. And to rub salt in the wounds a user here tried to blame me for all the issues. 

Userlevel 6

Updated on 11/10/23 by Abby_OVO

Hi @Kvstay & @Kairosfc 

Sorry to hear about the issues you’ve had topping up over the weekend.

If you need to contact the team on a Sunday, our Social team is able to support you. Send us a message on Facebook or Twitter from 9am - 5pm. This team is also able to schedule an emergency meter appointment if needed. More info on what to do in an emergency here.

Have you both been able to top up now? All Support lines are open again if you’re still experiencing problems, https://www.ovoenergy.com/help?c=pay_as_you_go.

Hey @Kvstay,

I’m so glad your issue is now resolved!

It may have been that you needed a new top up number to be issued:

Just wanted to add that sometimes a meter will need re-enabling once a customer has gone off supply. The following topics may be helpful:

Re-enabling your meter after you’ve gone off supply

Firstly, if the meter is outdoors please check your meter box is water tight and in good condition. If water gets in the meter this can stop you from being able to add credit. Also, we may not be able to repair or replace the gas meter until the outer box is fixed. This is because the meter box is the property owners responsibility. You can buy a new meter box at most hardware stores.

Check your top up card is working by inserting your card into the meter. The meter screen should turn on and say “please wait” followed by “£0” on the card (if there’s no credit on the card). If the meter doesn’t turn on this could mean the chip on your card is either dirty or worn. First please wipe the card with a clean damp cloth and dry it, then try again. If it still doesn’t work, reach out to the Support Team for a new card. 

Hi Abby,

Thank you for reply, I have spoken to someone this afternoon and the situation has been sorted.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Kvstay,

I’m so glad your issue is now resolved!

It may have been that you needed a new top up number to be issued:

Just wanted to add that sometimes a meter will need re-enabling once a customer has gone off supply. The following topics may be helpful:

Re-enabling your meter after you’ve gone off supply

Firstly, if the meter is outdoors please check your meter box is water tight and in good condition. If water gets in the meter this can stop you from being able to add credit. Also, we may not be able to repair or replace the gas meter until the outer box is fixed. This is because the meter box is the property owners responsibility. You can buy a new meter box at most hardware stores.

Check your top up card is working by inserting your card into the meter. The meter screen should turn on and say “please wait” followed by “£0” on the card (if there’s no credit on the card). If the meter doesn’t turn on this could mean the chip on your card is either dirty or worn. First please wipe the card with a clean damp cloth and dry it, then try again. If it still doesn’t work, reach out to the Support Team for a new card. 

I have been moved recently from SSE to OVO.

I am unable to top up via the app with the pay by card or bank transfer option. Each time it fails, this happened a week ago also. I have even tried using the old sse top up app.

I phoned last week and while the person on the phone eventually helped me and was able to top up my account over the phone, they where unable to help identify any issues. My bank was blamed for the issue. My wife also tried and had the exact same issue, we are with different banks. I am certain the issue is with ovo. I am extremely Disappointed and frustrated with the lack of help so far.

My bank had the charges as pending, thats fine I will get it back. How can I top up my account now? I have a new born and need to keep the electric balance topped up but I cannot keep phoning up to top up. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Tonyleeb 

I’m sorry to hear about the trouble you’re having topping up.

W’d recommend getting in touch with the team so they can help get this sorted.

The best way to get in touch  via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday, or you can call on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

I’ve also linked to some helpful topics that may be of use to you: