Solved

When does the 14 day cooling off period start if I renew my OVO fixed plan early?

• 27 February 2022
  • 24 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies

I have had such a bad time about this, I got my new deals on 2nd February clicked members special 4th February, my current

plan finishes on 27th March 2022 so I took out members special to start on 28th March , thought I would lock that deal down but thought I could jump to another deal as I had such a long time before my current deal ends.

they say cooling off period started on the day I clicked 4th February.

is this right .so my I would have to pay the exit fees if I wanted to jump to another deal.

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 28 February 2022, 13:16

View original

24 replies

When does this start new plan date or when you click 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi there @Logan !

I think I know what question you’re asking, so I’ll answer based on that.

If you’ve only just signed up as a new member, the 14 day cooling off period starts immediately. To cancel the switch, simply contact both suppliers and request that the switch is cancelled on the basis you’ve changed your mind. It’s recommended to let both know so that they can make sure it doesn’t happen again without your permission. This is the same regardless of whether it’s a variable rate, fixed rate or prepayment tariff.

If you’re an existing member and you just renewed, the clock starts in one of two places. If you’ve still got time left on the current fixed deal, you can cancel the renewal at anytime up until 14 days after the new tariff activates. If you went from variable to fixed, then the timer starts immediately because the fixed rate deal would have also started immediately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Sorry for any confusion. Just so you’re aware, I’m only a forum volunteer and can’t speak on OVO’s behalf.

In this case, based on what you’ve said your cooling off period actually starts on the 28th March but you can still back out right now if you wish. To change your selection, please chat with the Support Team and they can cancel the renewal, so that you can bring up your options again, with no exit fees at all.

Please be careful though. You’ll lose the rates you locked in if you do this and can’t get them back later.

Sorry I have had a deadlock letter about this , I would have to go to the ombudsman now.

50% of staff think my cooling off period starts with the new contract date the other 50% say it started when I clicked. complaints team said it started when I clicked. They will not disscuss any further.

just hope this helps other people , OVO has changed so much since I joined.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In that case, I need to inform you that my comments on this forum cannot be submitted as evidence in any case to the Energy Ombudsman. Since I’m only a forum volunteer and don’t work for OVO, my comments are considered user generated content, so it would probably get thrown out of the case and disregarded.

I’m afraid I can’t say anything further at this time, as I don’t like to trample on the ombudsman. If you still wish to pursue the matter, https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy is your only option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Logan

I am just an OVO customer like you. I am no expert so you would need to do your own research. 

The 14 day cooling off period has to be clearly communicated to you prior to "clicking". It can't be something they send you later.

I am no expert but I think the regulations are very clear on this. If there terms were not made clear, then my understanding is that they are unenforceable. Ofgem have written about this.

I suggest you check exactly what you were given to read before you clicked and what you have subsequently been given directly after you clicked. Check the wording very carefully that you were actually given before you clicked. Unfortunately OVO may be correct. It all depends on what you were given before you clicked. 

From OFGEM

2.3. A contract will be treated as terminated if a customer sends a notice of cancellation during the 14-day cooling off period. This means that a notice of cancellation sent at any time during the cooling off period will be valid even if it is actually received by the trader after the 14-day cooling off period has expired. 

2.4. For service contracts, the cooling off period starts from when the contract is entered into. Day 1 of the 14 day cooling off period is the day after the contract is entered into. In Ofgem, DECC and BIS’s view, a supply contract will be “entered into” for the purposes of the Regulations in circumstances where the consumer makes a firm commitment in respect of a supply contract which would result in a binding contract in the event that no further action was taken by the consumer. 

2.5. Under the Regulations, a trader is required to provide the consumer with specified information about the right to cancel before the contract is binding on the consumer. In the event that the trader fails to provide this specified information at the correct time, the Regulations provide that:
a) the cooling off period will be extended (up to a maximum of 12 months and 14 
days); and
b) in the case of a service which is performed (fully or in part) during the extended cooling off, the consumer will be exempt from paying for that service. 

2.6. A supplier may charge a consumer under the terms of the contract up until the time when the trader is informed of the consumer’s decision to cancel the contract ie when the notice of cancellation is received. 

2.7. Ofgem, BIS and DECC also consider that the contract should also be treated as cancelled at the time when the cancellation notice has been received.

2.8. Where a contract has been terminated following receipt of a cancellation notice, the customer must not incur any liability as a result of terminating that contract. In the 
guidance provided by BIS it said that:
“Where services to which cancellation rights apply are delivered during the 
cancellation period (for example the provision of ... gas, electricity and district 
heating) the trader will need to take into account the nature of that service and the consequences of cancellation in that context in order to ensure that a consumer does not incur liability as a result of exercising the right to cancel. The obligations of the consumer in the event of withdrawal should not discourage the consumer from exercising his right of withdrawal”

2.9. Ofgem can enforce the Regulation in accordance with its role as an enforcement authority under Part 8 of the Enterprise Act 2002. 

Thanks for getting in touch ,

sorry but once you click that email is gone , just says welcome for staying with them, on there terms and conditions , cooling off period 

I have read it should start on the start date not on the click date,

I am thinking of going to the ombudsman.

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Logan

Perhaps ask OVO for exact copies of any emails/screen shots you would have seen prior to clicking? Not an unreasonable request. 

Hi

don’t know it’s quite simple if you read terms and conditions they just seem to be shifting the coal posts.

Hi Jeffus

went through everything found the email it says you have 14 days cooling off period if not happy with plan .

not when it starts, as I renewed so early I think this is what is confusing.

thanks for your input.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Jeffus

went through everything found the email it says you have 14 days cooling off period if not happy with plan .

not when it starts, as I renewed so early I think this is what is confusing.

thanks for your input.

I see @Blastoise186 posted this on another thread you started @Logan

"If you’re an existing member and you just renewed, the clock starts in one of two places. If you’ve still got time left on the current fixed deal, you can cancel the renewal at anytime up until 14 days after the new tariff activates. If you went from variable to fixed, then the timer starts immediately because the fixed rate deal would have also started immediately. "

@Jess_OVO is that correct?

If @Logan was on a fixed rate deal, shouldn't they get 14 days after the new tariff activates, ie 14 days after 28th March? 

Userlevel 7

Updated on 18/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Sorry for any confusion, @Logan.

As our community members have advised your 14 day cooling off period would start on the first day of your new plan. As you mention renewing early, I’m wondering if your new plan was started before the end of your existing plan, which might explain the discrepancy.

Unfortunately if we’ve issued your letter of deadlock we’re no longer able to get your complaint resolved internally. This letter should include contact details for the Energy ombudsman if you’re not happy with our suggested solution.

I hope this helps get the matter resolved.

Hi

i was on members special 1 year fixed rate then renewed early on the 4th February .

to 1 year members special till 27 th March 2023.

I have been banging on to them , but to no avail . They said they would waiver exit fees but I have lost the deals I wanted to jump to now they are all dearer.  CSA are 50/50 on this and sick of asking about variable rate.

stressed 

So new deal does not start till the end of my current contract , then new plans kicks in.

why can’t they see sense , me having to go to ombudsman when this could have been settled .

New plan starts 27th March 2022

still on old plan

Think dead lock was a bit strong foe a pensioner to deal with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m sorry, but no-one here can help you any further with this issue right now. As you’ve also exhausted the full internal complaints process and reached deadlock, only the Energy Ombudsman can assist you if you still want to pursue the matter.

Sick of the whole thing

Just letting people know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This thread has also been resolved in another one. I’m going to mark this one out as Solved for now, however it will remain open for comments.

Ok

if you think it’s solved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m sorry, but no-one here can help you any further with this issue right now. As you’ve also exhausted the full internal complaints process and reached deadlock, only the Energy Ombudsman can assist you if you still want to pursue the matter.

The only thing i would add, is that is not strictly true in my experience. 

There is nothing stopping OVO changing their mind without going to the Ombudsman or during the Ombudsman process.

I have complained before, got to a dead lock letter, but a supplier has then sorted things out prior to the Ombudsman then getting involved and making a ruling. 

It is within the gift of OVO to at least  relook at this, particularly given the comments from @Jess_OVO

I know @Jess_OVO and @Tim_OVO don't get involved in the majority of cases and i appreciate why. But on the face of it, this case doesn't at least seem right and I personally think is at least worthy of another look by OVO prior to the Ombudsman. 

We have ended up in a position where on the face of it we have different OVO employees potentially giving different information. I don't believe that is a sensible place to leave it so i don't personally think the thread should be marked as solved? 

It doesn't feel solved to me in any way? 

Just my personal views. 

Hi Jeffus

thanks for that, your first person to support me in this,

much appreciated for your comments, I am just going to stay in my deal I took out and refew it next year.

members  special 1 year fixed.

I have had enough of the whole thing, they are still saying ,cooling off period starts as soon as you click , so be aware.

just cannot deal with going to ombudsman. 

thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Jeffus

thanks for that, your first person to support me in this,

much appreciated for your comments, I am just going to stay in my deal I took out and refew it next year.

members  special 1 year fixed.

I have had enough of the whole thing, they are still saying ,cooling off period starts as soon as you click , so be aware.

just cannot deal with going to ombudsman. 

thanks again.

Sorry to hear that.

Obviously i don't have all the details so i don't actually know who is correct. 

We now potentially run the risk of having incorrect advice on the forum, we have no way of knowing either way. 

You may actually find the rate you have locked into is pretty good depending on what happens next with energy bills.