Solved

Three rate tariffs

• 21 August 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

The OVO website mentions two 3-rate tariifs - Flexiheat and Superdeal:

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/article/electric-heating/three-rate-tariffs

We are on Superdeal but would like to find out the details of Flexiheat, ie the prices for the 3 rates.  I have tried the OVO chat function but they appear to know nothing about this (and gave a lot of misinformation).

How do I find out if I can switch to Flexiheat and, if so, what are the prices?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 21 August 2023, 19:02

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @SteveUK ,

I’m afraid they’re legacy tariffs that are no longer offered to new customers. The only people who can get them are those already on them. AFAIK you can’t switch between the two either.

Sorry

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Balstoise186

Yes, that would explain it - pity they aren’t more explicit about it. 

Our Superdeal meter is a telemeter - do you know if we can stay on Superdeal should we decide  to ask for a smart meter instead?

It’s a struggle trying to find a good tariff for electric heating - Superdeal used to be good but the savings on the stored rate are much less than they used to be.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The answer to that is not certain, I would expect that getting moved to Economy 7 or Economy 10 is a lot easier.

OVO is attempting to provide support for some legacy tariff types with Smart Meters, but they can’t guarantee 100% coverage of every exotic tariff ever.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, I’ll have to investigate Economy 10 to see if that is still an option. 

Complex tariffs are surely going to become more common as there are more demands on the supply (EVs, electric heating) and solar batteries and there is greater need to spread demand more evenly  through the day and night.  Octopus seems to be showing the way forward.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO has a couple as well - especially Charge Anytime.

Time of Use is not necessarily the golden bullet that Octopus promotes it as. Sometimes, spreading the use out even wider and having Type of Use makes more sense. :)