Solved

Redundant meter needs to be capped and removed. Who's responsible?

• 20 October 2022
  • 6 replies

My  parents are trying to simplify an old arrangement and reduce costs. They live in a house that used to be two flats and which had 2 electricity meters and therefore 2 charges etc. 

The arrangements have now been changed so all the electric is using one meter and so now the second one can be removed. 

Just to make this an especially complicated situation they are in the process of being transferred from SSE to Ovo. The now redundant meter is with  Ovo and the other is with SSE. 

Both are smart meters, however they have to submit manual readings as the 'smart' meter does not seem to connect. 

I cannot seem to find any way of contacting Ovo for help with this very specific question, does anyone have any suggestions please! 

Thank you

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 20 October 2022, 15:19

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 10/07/2023 by Abby_OVO

Hey @SarahWgs,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

Your parents will need to contact us directly to arrange the meter removal. Even if a meter is capped, they’ll still be charged standing charge unless their meter is removed. 

We have more out this topic here:

In regards to the other meter, they’ll need to contact the current provider who’ll likely ask them to answer some questions to find out why the meter has stopped communicating. Once they’ve diagnosed the issue they’ll be able to resolve the problem. It might be similar to our smart meter health check:

Hope this helps. 

Hi there,

Thanks for hour advice but I am afraid it has not worked.

My parents have succeeded in closing the account attached to the now unused meter however they have received a letter to 'the occupier' welcoming them to Ovo and setting out the charges as if someone else has moved into the property. 

Several phone calls have produced total frustration as they all go to the same call centre in South Africa, even if you ask for the support team. Not one person has acknowledged that the meter can be removed. We now have an email saying they will not be charged for any standing rates but I do not think this is going to work having had the letter.

If we cannot contact any other department from the  one call centre how can it be possible  to progress the request. 

We have been told that it isn't necessary, it is not the responsibility of Ovo and yet you have shown me on the website that there is a charge for this service.

Please advise how to proceed in this situation.

Thank you

Sarah

Userlevel 7

Hey @SarahWgs,

It seems there may have been some crossed wires somewhere.

Your parents shouldn’t have closed the redundant OVO account, they’ll need to contact Support the number is 0330 303 5063 and ask for the meter to be removed. Assuming they’ve already called their Distribution Network Operator to stop the supply. 

Unfortunately it doesn't matter what number the call they always get through to the same call centre. Every operator has refused to find out how to the meter removed. Please can you be more accurate about what to ask for.

The account was closed by one of the operators we spoke to as she decided that was the right course of action.

You mentioned  the DNO - how do we find out who this is? Could it be Western power networks? Is this to ensure the physical supply is terminated?

Sarah

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Unfortunately it doesn't matter what number the call they always get through to the same call centre. Every operator has refused to find out how to the meter removed. Please can you be more accurate about what to ask for.

The account was closed by one of the operators we spoke to as she decided that was the right course of action.

You mentioned  the DNO - how do we find out who this is? Could it be Western power networks? Is this to ensure the physical supply is terminated?

Sarah

Hi @SarahWgs 

You can check your DNO here

https://www.energynetworks.org/customers/find-my-network-operator

Userlevel 7

Hey @SarahWgs,

Sorry for the issues you’re having, it sounds like your parents may not have arranged a disconnection with the Distribution Network Operator (DNO) yet. 

I think this may be causing some confusion when they call up. 

The first step, and it sounds like this has been done already, your parents will need to ensure that all appliances are running through one meter - they will need an electrician to do this prior to the appointment with OVO.

They’ll then need to contact the DNO to arrange a disconnection. Where the wiring is disconnected and cut out is removed.

Jeffus wrote:

Hi @SarahWgs 

You can check your DNO here

https://www.energynetworks.org/customers/find-my-network-operator

Your parents can then call OVO to book a 17/27 working day appointment for a meter removal.

We have a great guide here that you might find helpful:

Hope this helps.