Solved

New neighbor- and now OVO has closed my account in error?

• 19 November 2022
  • 9 replies

My credit has been refunded - but it is not in my bank ? 

I have no emails about this ? 

I did not request this I’m quite happy with OVO , looks like a SCAM of some sort but I don’t understand ?! 

Can’t put meter readings and there is a final bill when I’ve not even asked to leave ? 

Worried sick can’t get through on WhatsApp or Instagram and the phone ?! 

Has this happened to anyone else ? 

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 21 November 2022, 14:58

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Have you tried Online Chat ? I thought it was available Sat mornings

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Did you get anywhere with this @lynneylynne ?

Had online chat someone is supposed to be looking into it “deeply” and was getting back to me at lunch time but they haven’t !!!! Seemingly I have moved house ?! Which I haven’t ? They have sent £293 somewhere but not to me ! I am extremely angry ! A new downstairs neighbour has moved in a flat I’m hoping it’s something to do with that but to think they can randomly take a quick word from a new customer or their provider and literally close my account without a phone call is unbelievable ?! The girl sounded very confused and needed time but they better have answers ?! Really disappointed in them as going so well :-(

Dear OVO Escalation / Complaints 

Someone called Jade was due to call me back from 9am this morning. OVO has closed me down on error or a scam or fraud !!!! To not get back to me and now leave me till Monday is absolutely shocking customer service 5 hours to sort a problem yet still not call - not good especially when it’s your error !!! Have screen shots of conversation 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Please don't panic or worry too much. I know OVO customer service is often not as good as it should be but you won't be cut off or left with no gas or electricity, even if it takes some time to resolve the problem.

Make sure you keep records of your meter readings so you know how much you've actually used. This will help when they do get your account sorted out.

I’m not worried about them cutting me off I’m angry at how they have been able to close my account without speaking to me at all ?! Huge holes in structure of process and the security of my account - if down stairs has opened an account and they’ve closed mine in error ! Should not have been able to happen ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya! Please be advised that this comment was left by a forum volunteer. I cannot speak for or on behalf of OVO in any kind of official capacity.

From an account security standpoint, it’s literally impossible to prevent random people from starting accidental switches that cause someone else’s account to close. This problem isn’t unique to OVO and it happens across the entire industry all the time. That’s why there’s measures in place to alert you and help you undo such undesired changes - one of which is to re-open and restore the account to the state it was in prior to the undesired change.

In this case, it probably was an accidental switch triggered by another customer.

As for actual security holes? I’m afraid this is out-of-scope on the basis there is no security hole. The same goes for the process structure. Ultimately, unless you want to be spied on by secret cameras in your computer 24/7/365, it’s completely impossible to know whose fingers are at the keyboard at any given time.

Userlevel 7

Updated on 20/10/23 by Abby_OVO

Hey @lynneylynne,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

This usually happens when someone has moved into a property with a similar address. It sounds like your neighbor may have set up an account in their name for your address.

If you’ve already contacted Support this would have already been raised to the right team. I understand this has concerned you, but please be assured this can easily be reversed. This often happens when someone advises they’re moving out on a certain date, so we close the account, then the sale falls through and we need to re-open the account. The credit that was refunded. If it was issued by cheque will be cancelled and returned to your account, if it enters your bank you should be able to make a ‘top up’ payment online to add this back to your OVO account when it’s re-opened. 

I hope this helps. 

Thank you ! As long as reinstatement is easy ! Took 3 whatsapp chats and 1 hr 15 on the phone but now have a reinstatement case number and an Escalation Complaint number so  should be sorted soon ! Just want to know why it’s happened with no email or call then I could have caught it and said it was a mistake that’s all - thanks for your much more reasonable response than some others ! L x