Solved

National Insurance number requested over chat?

• 16 January 2024
  • 2 replies

I was trying to get help today to sort out a debt through the online chat system.

The person asked for my National Insurance number and which benefits i was getting and I gave it, then they told me they can’t help me and ended the chat. 

I’m worried I’ve just been scammed as my partner told to never give that number, as the person now as access to my bills,NI,phone number as well as my what benefits I’m claiming and could commit fraud on me.  

Is this normal to ask for someones NI number ? 

icon

Best answer by Abby_OVO 17 January 2024, 14:23

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Obviously I don't know what the online chat representative went through. It doesn't sound like you were scammed if you used the online chat link on the ovo website.

They may have asked for those details to check eligibility for the Fuel Direct scheme for example. That requires your benefit details and National Insurance number.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-request-deductions-from-benefit-a-guide-for-creditors/third-party-deductions-from-benefits-a-guide-for-fuel-suppliers

You could try calling the ovo collections numbers and see what they can do for you if you haven't already 

The number is 0800 069 9831. They’re open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.

They should also be able to look at your record to see what was said on the online chat interaction.

You may find some useful information here on support.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/article/debt-and-energy-assistance

Userlevel 6

Hey @christine haylett 

Sorry to hear the worry this may have caused.

I have checked in with out collections team who have said they do ask for this from time to time when discussing or competing Fuel Direct, like Jeffus has mentioned above.

Do you know if this was mentioned on the chat? I’d maybe get back in touch with the team to discuss this - that way you can also put your mind fully at rest.

Jeffus linked to the government’s helpful webpage on Fuel Direct, but we’ve also got a handy topic here on the Forum:

Let us know how you get on with this.