Solved

My DNO has recommended I set up a Building Network Operator (BNO) to change one 3 phase meter and 7 submeters to 7 individually supplied meters?

Userlevel 1
  • Carbon Cutter*****
  • 6 replies

Hi, 

Does anyone know what physical work with the electrics is required to set up a BNO please?  This is a recommendation from the DNO (SSEN) to change one 3 phase meter and 7 submeters to have 7 individually supplied meters...

But I’m struggling to find a clear explanation of how this works in operation online!

Thanks so much,

Peter

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 19 October 2022, 11:16

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @pkt ,

I think we can answer this one, but can you explain a bit more about what you’re planning on please? If you can also show us photos of everything, that’d be great as it really helps us out!

Userlevel 1

Hi again @Blastoise186 !

You actually provided some really kind initial help on this before on the thread below… I subsequently took your advice and called SSEN who recommended they setup a BNO - hence this new query (I thought the setup of a BNO was distinct enough to warrant a separate thread!)

Have you or others come across a BNO before?

Many thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Oooohhhh right, I remember ya now!

Not myself, but I know someone who does.

Bear with me while I make some phone calls. :P

Userlevel 1

You’re a star @Blastoise186 , much appreciated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok, I’m back!

Just so everyone else knows, this answer has been adapted for @pkt and might not be applicable to all circumstances. Please check with your DNO if you’re unsure!

I’ve just spoken to SSEN’s New Connections Team for you and they’ve been amazingly good, which is not surprising given they’re a DNO.

Firstly, they’d like me to give you these - I have permission from SSEN to release this publicly:

https://www.ssen.co.uk/our-services/building-network-operator/

https://www.ssen.co.uk/globalassets/building-network-operator-bno/bno-customer-guide-v1.0-1.pdf

connections.policy@sse.com

Your electrician will need to install a Riser in order to enable seven/eight new connections to be put in.

Please email SSEN with the following information:

• Details of the Company/Building Owner - such as name, address, phone number and email address
  • Locations of supplies including postal addresses for the Landlord Supply and all the flats where ALL supplies including landlord will be located
  • Emergency contact info for your electrician - they'll be responsible once the riser is installed as SSEN won’t touch anything from the Riser onwards
  • Photos of all existing cables/meters, riser location (where you want it to go!) and all sub-meters
  • I’m afraid the existing meters must go - including the existing landlord meter

Oh, and please include all the photos you’ve shown us here on the forum too! SSEN will appreciate it.

In fact, feel free to chuck in links to both of these forum threads into that email as well. I suspect the extra context will probably help them out.

Once SSEN receive that email, they’ll be in touch with the next steps. They will generate the MPANs for you to enable suppliers like OVO to take the supplies on and create the initial accounts.

Hope this helps. If you get stuck, give SSEN a call on 0800 048 3515 if you’re in Scotland or 0800 048 3516 if you’re down south and it’s Option 2 then Option 4.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @Blastoise186  that’s amazingly helpful.

This attached screenshot set up is exactly what I need.  I will reengage with SSEN.

I’m still unclear on two key points I don’t know whether you know the answer to:

1.  whether SSEN need to visit the building at all, or whether the existing cutout (area highlighted red in screenshot) needs to be changed - presumably not if 3 phase supply already? ;
  1.  Ovo’s physical involvement - i.e. whether my electrician (operating under my BNO) can take out the existing Ovo meters and replace with new meters for Ovo/a.n.other to then take the individual supplies on?

As I said I have lodged a request with SSEN’s new connections team, but I’m still seeking clarity on exactly who needs to be involved in physically visiting the property and do works - from SSEN, Ovo or just simply my electrician. 

Apologies if I’m missing something as a newbie on this!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries!

As far as I’m aware, yes SSEN will need to visit the building to hook up the Riser to the local grid. You won’t be able to do that yourself. They’ll figure out whether that existing 3-Phase supply can stay. Probably not though if a Riser needs to be installed.

OVO owns the meter if you’re currently with OVO. Let me ask @Tim_OVO about how that will work.

But as far as I’m aware, OVO would be able to install the new meters to each supply point.

Userlevel 1

Many thanks @Blastoise186 .  I wondered if we’d just build the riser cupboard/boxing around the existing 3-phase supply/cutout, leaving that in place.

Thanks @Tim_OVO for your help…!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You might be able to do that, but it’ll depend on factors such as the size of the riser and where it’s able to go. If it’s small enough, you might have a chance, but I’m not an electrician myself so I can’t make any promises.

Userlevel 7

Hi @pkt what a fantastic thread this is turning into. It’s now available online for someone who follows in your footsteps, metaphorically speaking. 

Your energy supplier will be the ones required for any meter exchange. SSEN should be able to advise if that’s necessary. The job and it’s cost should be covered here:

SSE have recently changed their policy on BNO, I am struggling to convert my supply to a BNO without upgrading it. 
does anyone know how it can be done? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Jamesneu ,

presumably you are in a multi occupancy building? What is it that you’re needing to be changed? If it needs additional capacity, it will also need DNO involvement and therefore possible upgrades 

Hi @BPLightlog 

thanks for the input 

we want to keep supply as it is, no load increase. 

it is a multi occupancy building. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @BPLightlog 

thanks for the input 

we want to keep supply as it is, no load increase. 

it is a multi occupancy building. 

Ok, as OVO acquired SSE a while ago, have you approached OVO at all?

Isn’t Ovo meter operators? And not the DNO? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If the install is after the incomer (therefore after DNO) then it’s down to the supply company. 
There’s an earlier thread which might help. 

Edit: just a thought .. did you mean SSE or SSEN?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’re probably still going to need a Riser anyway. It’s VERY crucial to recognise that a single 100A incoming supply may well not be enough to serve multiple properties in a building.