Solved

How do I know if I have an off-peak electricity rate?

• 21 April 2022
  • 7 replies

Hello.  I’ve heard people talk about off-peak electricity and so have been running the dishwasher and washing machine at night, but now I’m wondering if I just pay the same amount all the time.  I’m on a 2 Year Fixed Energy Plan - is that one price for electricity at any time of the day?  Is it just Economy 7 which costs less at night? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 22 April 2022, 12:34

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 25/08/23 by Abby_OVO

Great question, @Confused.com - let’s see if we can help clear the confusion!

The 2 year fixed plan you mention is available as both a single-rate and a dual rate (Economy 7 plan). You can check which version applies in your case by logging in to your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) and heading to the ‘Plan’ page.

Exact Appearance may vary

If you’re signed up for the 2 Year Fixed Economy 7 plan this will be shown under the ‘Plan name’ with the peak and off-peak prices shown under your electricity ‘unit rate’ header.

Even if you’re on the single rate version of the plan there may still be environmental benefits to using energy at off-peak times. Check out the ‘Carbon forecast’ menu option to see the carbon intensity on the national grid, throughout the next 48 hours which might help you decide the best time to programme the washing machine.

Let us know if you’ve got any more questions, we’re always happy to help. 🙂

Userlevel 1

Hopefully someone here may be able to help, for 10+ years I have been raising being able to use high drain appliances like the dishwasher and washing machine with off peak electricity and everytime I get the same “we are looking at it” response from OVO

With the recent price hikes, I refused to accept the same answer again, pointing out that 10 years is long enough to look at something, customer service put it in as a complaint. Ended up getting a call from *edit by moderator* customer relations which without going into too much detail the guy was just fobbing me off *edit by moderator* in the hope that I would accept it, I didnt, 25+ years of experience in purchasing means I read up on the subject as much as possible plus I had already e-mailed Ofgem asking what their policy is on the subject, its down to the individual companies not them. He told me he would have to escalate the matter to a senior manager who would call me back…..They havent. 

Today it turns out that he marked the complaint as “resolved” on the system when its far from resolved.

Does anyone have either an e-mail or snail mail  address for the MD of OVO so I can raise this issue directly with someone that has the authority to answer the question?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @stuart264 

I'm sure someone can help you with your address search, but out of interest what's the specific question or questions you have?

Not to put down any of the staff you have or haven't spoken to, but you may find you can get some answers here from the forum experts (not including myself in that description!)

Userlevel 1

I wanted to raise the issue of being able to save a few costs by using off-peak electricity at night with someone that can actually make a decision, not the PR fob off I have been getting for years. I can accept a “no” answer, it's just none of the people I have ever spoken with have the authority to make a decision and won't pass the question up the management chain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hopefully someone here may be able to help, for 10+ years I have been raising being able to use high drain appliances like the dishwasher and washing machine with off peak electricity and everytime I get the same “we are looking at it” response from OVO

With the recent price hikes, I refused to accept the same answer again, pointing out that 10 years is long enough to look at something, customer service put it in as a complaint. Ended up getting a call from some complete moron in customer relations which without going into too much detail the guy was just fobbing me off with PR / BS speak in the hope that I would accept it, I didnt, 25+ years of experience in purchasing means I read up on the subject as much as possible plus I had already e-mailed Ofgem asking what their policy is on the subject, its down to the individual companies not them. He told me he would have to escalate the matter to a senior manager who would call me back…..They havent. 

Today it turns out that he marked the complaint as “resolved” on the system when its far from resolved.

Does anyone have either an e-mail or snail mail  address for the MD of OVO so I can raise this issue directly with someone that has the authority to answer the question?

I don't work for OVO, am simply a customer. 

If it is simply an address you are after

1 Rivergate Temple Quay
Bristol BS1 6ED
United Kingdom

This is directly from the OVO website. 

If it is simply the name of the CEO, this is

Stephen Fitzpatrick

As @nealmurphy says if you want to ask about things like Economy 7 offpeak electricity or Time of Use tariffs like Octopus Agile then feel free to ask and one of the regular posters may be able to help. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks but I already wrote to that address, it ended up in Customer Relations, 😣, I should have mentioned that in my original post, I didn't and for that I apologize, I have slept since then.

What I find most annoying is that I quit being a SSE customer because of poor customer service and went to OVO because of seeing Steven Fitzpatrick testifying to the Energy and Climate Sub Committee back in 2013 which impressed me a lot.

It seems to me that OVO inherited SSE’s bloody minded poor customer service, not the other way round, 🙄

Thanks for mentioning Time of Use tariffs not seen those before but then up until my monthly direct debit tripled last month I have only really looked at electricity prices every couple of years when my fixed tariff is up for renewal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@stuart264 There are a few forum topics that you may be interested in reading, a couple of these are linked below:

Apart from Economy 7, the main uses of current time of use tariffs are for EV charging. These generally require a smart meter that records readings every 30 minutes to allow different prices to be set at different times. The more technologically advanced EV tariffs also optimise times of charging based on the lowest carbon content of the grid or cheapest price.

There are existing time of use tariffs available through different suppliers. When they work they work very well. Back in May 2020 when energy demand was low due to lockdown and there was favourable weather for renewables the price dropped to -11p/kWh - during the day.

But the state of the wholesale electricity market now means that these see little variation in price through the day/night as the costs are usually at or close to the tariff’s cap. The latest version of Octopus Agile time of use tariff is capped at 55p/kWh and today it is at this price for the whole day.

Time of Use prices per kWh 23/05/20