Solved

Do I have to pay a standing charge if I have 2 electric meters?

• 9 March 2024
  • 5 replies

We live in a detached bungalow with a detached garage. Both have electric meters. These were already there when we bought the bungalow. Is it right that we are paying two lots of standing charges?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 10 March 2024, 20:34

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 22/03/24 by Abby_OVO

Hi @Simon and Cheryl Whitworth ,

The answer is a bit complicated I’m afraid. Some two-meter tariffs just have ONE standing charge that covers both meters. However, it’s more common that you’d have TWO standing charges on the basis of one per meter.

Please check your tariff to find out exactly which one applies to your account. With that being said, it sounds like you’re probably running on two separate accounts which would mean two sets of standing charges.

We’ve also got some other really helpful topics on standing charges below:

Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As has been mentioned, it is not straightforward .. but I’ve seen this type of set up with both a single and double standing charge. 
The key seems to be which meter has an MPAN (Meter Point Administration Number) attached to it. The standing charge tends to be associated with any MPAN. These should be listed on your bill. 

Userlevel 7

Brilliant responses from our Community members here, I hope this answers your question @Simon and Cheryl Whitworth?

You’ll pay a standing charge per Meter Point Administration Number. 

Yes. Thank you very much.