Solved

Solar PV and batteries installed recently. On the app, I think the grid icon and my home are set up the wrong way?

• 10 November 2022
  • 7 replies

Recently had Solar pv and batteries installed (one week). Installers have been out a number of times but have left me to it now. 
on the app, I think the grid icon and my home are set up the wrong way. I’m currently using minimal power, my solar is bringing some in and s bring some to the battery. The app is showing though that I’m not using anything. I think the icons are the wrong way round!! Maybe it’s an installation problem - any ideas?

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 10 November 2022, 12:54

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Millsmiller. It’s not easy to see from your image and obviously, there’s less solar at this point in the year. 
It can be detecting the wrong way if the clamps are the wrong way round but you would need to show an image of your connections to see this. Be careful not to show any personal info though. 

The battery has charge and so looks like it is supplying power which would be how it’s set - the main thing to check is the Exported figure. You would want this to be a lot lower than the supply to the property

Badge +1

Hi @Millsmiller.

I have a Smart car charger in the mix as well and it took the battery installers 3 visits to get the clamps correctly orientated! @BPLightlog is right when he says that the export to grid figure is the crucial one. I celebrate each (summer) day when I when I import less than 1kWh..

Thanks so much for such a quick response! Funny thing is which I forgot to mention is that the display on my inverter shows the right information - the power the house is using and nothing going back to the grid - it’s like my app is talking to the inverter but getting confused! On my original image the blue line is moving towards the grid! 

This is the latest view - I have a laptop and a tv on which explains the 236w currently being used - but see this figure is what’s going to the grid (blue line) and the house is using nothing! Head scratch!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are clamps near your meter box which collect the info. They need to be looking at the power being consumed by the property and the solar production. Assuming your system is set up correctly, the clamps could be connected swapped over - the other problem is that they need to point the right way (there should be an arrow on the side). 
If you are showing consumption on the export then that clamp is probably pointing the wrong way

Yeah the installers did a lot of ct clamp swapping the past few days - the strange this is the screen on the inverter shows the right information - not what my app is showing! With the inverter being in the loft as well makes it a right pain!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah the installers did a lot of ct clamp swapping the past few days - the strange this is the screen on the inverter shows the right information - not what my app is showing! With the inverter being in the loft as well makes it a right pain!!

I had to do some extra checking on my system as it wasn’t behaving as I expected - it’s not Solis though, it’s LuxPower .. but they are very similar. 
In the end, I took each clamp off in turn then checked what the system was saying but it needs to be done one by one so you can see cause and effect. 
If your inverter looks ok and your smart meter reads how you expect, at least you know it’s all working correctly. 
Is there a separate pc log-in ? That might also be another thing to check