Solved

Smart Meter installer found a problem with the wiring of my solar system but follow up engineer said it was correct?

• Carbon Cutter***
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

I applied for a smart meter to be fitted but when the engineer came for the installation they said that the solar system was wired wrong and they had to report it without fitting the smart meter. I was waiting for a call for someone to inspect it but was called saying they have a court order to break into my house unless I gave them access. I rushed home and after inspection I was told that there was nothing wrong with the setup. I complained about the treatment and while waiting for an answer I have just had a call from another engineer saying that there is a wiring problem and they want to come in and alter it. I am so confused. Please can someone tell me if my connection is correct? Thank you in advance for any help.

is this solar installation wire correctly?

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 8 November 2022, 12:45

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Chip   It looks to me like the solar PV is connected directly to the main feed into the house. It should go via the meter and connection box. The black connections on the lower left of your system should have a feed to the meter, nothing else. Mine looks like this 

Hi BPLightlog Thanks for your reply. Looks like I could be in trouble then.

Does this also mean that I’m not getting use of the electricity that i’m producing during the day?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Technically speaking, all the solar seems to be going direct to the grid and might not even be tracked properly!

This is also a safety issue by the looks of things.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Does this also mean that I’m not getting use of the electricity that i’m producing during the day?

To be honest I’m not sure. You have a solar PV meter which seems to show generation and I can’t see where the cables top right go - perhaps there’s a connection to the PV meter behind the panel. 
One other thing - can you tell if there are cables in the white trunking that is horizontal mid image?

To be honest I’m not sure. You have a solar PV meter which seems to show generation and I can’t see where the cables top right go - perhaps there’s a connection to the PV meter behind the panel. 
One other thing - can you tell if there are cables in the white trunking that is horizontal mid image?

The cables at the top right go to  another distribution board for my garden room. I don’t know what is behind the trunking. I assume the cables go from the switch to the meter and then to the inverter. I will have to have a look tonight and let you know.

Technically speaking, all the solar seems to be going direct to the grid and might not even be tracked properly!

That doesn’t sound good? I don’t understand why one engineer says it is a problem and another says it is ok? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That doesn’t sound good? I don’t understand why one engineer says it is a problem and another says it is ok? 

The standard connection is like this 

Basic Domestic Electricity Supply

Forgive the crude image but if you see the incomer and then cables to the meter these are all the supply companies property and usually have a seal attached. On mine the splitter connection box also has a seal - this is where the house connections are made, not into the main incomer box which is why it could be a real problem. 

Is it your installer who says it’s ok? If so I would make a complaint, otherwise you may be paying someone else to correct this

The standard connection is like this 

Basic Domestic Electricity Supply

Forgive the crude image but if you see the incomer and then cables to the meter these are all the supply companies property and usually have a seal attached. On mine the splitter connection box also has a seal - this is where the house connections are made, not into the main incomer box which is why it could be a real problem. 

Is it your installer who says it’s ok? If so I would make a complaint, otherwise you may be paying someone else to correct this

No, I am waiting for a reply from my installer. it is the electricity supplier that has said it was wrong, then it was correct and now it is wrong again?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

ok @Chip . I can’t see how it can be seen as correct - as I’ve mentioned the connections are definitely not right and on your photo I can’t see the supplier seal which is a particular problem

Looks like I’ll have to see what my electricity supplier wants to do then have a conversation with the solar installation company.

Thanks for your help on this.