News

Get your heat pump installed through OVO with Heat Geek!

• 3 October 2023
  • 38 replies
Get your heat pump installed through OVO with Heat Geek!

Show first post

38 replies

I recently had a new gas boiler installed because my old one was declared unfit. The boiler is less than 6 months old, but I’m still interested in installing an air source heat pump. I’ve read that it’s possible to use a combination of both, with the boiler contributing if the heat pump is not keeping up with demand. And with this option new radiators may not be necessary. Is this something that Heat Geek would consider in their survey?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I don’t think you’d get the government grant if you were keeping the gas boiler, so that’s something to check. There are hybrid heat pumps which use gas as well as electricity to provide a higher temperature system, these are complete units though, as far as I’m aware.
However, a heat pump needs a hot water tank as it doesn’t provide instant hot water. If you don’t have one you could use the gas boiler for hot water and have a heat pump just for heating. Don’t be misled into thinking a heat pump wont keep up with demand. Unless you have a huge hot water requirement (a heat pump will run either heating or hot water at any one time) a heat pump will provide plenty of heating power. It runs at a low temperature so you may need larger radiators; if you have underfloor heating it’s a perfect match. 
There are many variables including your house size, occupancy, budget etc. It’s definitely worth getting a Heat Geek to have a look at your requirements whether you choose to get a heat pump now or in the future, they’re the best place to start.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

we only have an 80amp fuse, supply was unlopped last year and I was expecting to go to 100amps but was told western power only fit 80amp fuses now, with an EV and electric cooker are we able to have a heat pump?

To me the savings would be greater as our boiler is the only gas appliance so in theory we no longer need gas + standing charge either (assuming our home in suitable)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I think you could have a rough time doing that. I just confirmed with WPD - 80A is their new limit for upgraded single-phase supplies. Given an EV can suck up to 40A at once and an electric cooker up to say, 16A (yes, not all do but better to overestimate!), that doesn’t leave you much to play with...

Userlevel 1

It’s a shame that OVO can’t open this up to all heat pump installations their customers have, OVO were not offering heat pump installations in my area when I first enquired September last year.

Will I and others have to change to a supplier who values their customers and their drive towards a green future ?

Userlevel 1

In  my post above I’m referring to the Heat Pump Plus tariff.

Userlevel 7

Right now the offer is open to a small amount of customers, but that doesn’t mean this won’t change in future @DougalDog.

We’ll of course keep our Community Members up to date with an exciting developments 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Interesting read if you have time: https://transition.vc/library/heat-geek-residential-decarbonisation-by-installers-for-installers

Right now the offer is open to a small amount of customers, but that doesn’t mean this won’t change in future @DougalDog.

We’ll of course keep our Community Members up to date with an exciting developments 😊

I registered my interest last week but no acknowledgement or anything received as yet. It appears from your T&C’s that Ovo need to introduce me to a Heat Geek installer rather than me being able to go direct for a quote? If you have no idea of when you will be installing in my area should I presume that I just need to go elsewhere to get my ASHP installed? We are renovating and extending and hope to be fitting the heat pump in around 5/6 months time but obviously can’t leave it all till the last minute on the off chance Ovo may contact me. Just wondering if you have any updates on the roll out of the scheme that you can share? Thanks!

Userlevel 7

Hey @helenwilki,

I’ll ask the team and pop back with an update 😊

Userlevel 7

Hey @helenwilki

If you’re able to private message me your name and location, I’ve got a member of the team who will look into whether heat geek is able to install a heat pump in your area 🙂

Hi Emmanuelle, I did send you a private message 5 days ago but haven’t received any reply or contact from anyone yet? Thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @helenwilki

I will follow up on this for you and get back to you with an update. I anticipate the team will be off for the bank holiday so I will follow up with you on Tuesday or earlier if I get an answer sooner.