Skip to main content

I am thinking about switching to OVO from Octopus but I have a deficit of about £300 currently. Can I switch the deficit to OVO? If OVO agrees with Octopus to take on the debt then why not?

Hey @Mepower ,

The answer to that question is maybe. If your debt is less than 28 days old, then Octopus has no choice but to let you go and just put it on their Final Bill to collect it like any other regular bill. If it’s more than 28 days old and you’re on Pay Monthly, then Octopus is legally permitted to block you and object to you switching.

HOWEVER

If you’re on Pay As You Go and the debt is less than £500, then the Debt Assignment Protocol can be used to allow you to switch while taking the debt with you as-is. You’d then make repayments to OVO who would pass them onto Octopus in the background, but your Octopus account would be closed and you’d be supplied by OVO.

Hope this helps!

Thank you.

Hi i had debt with sse last year which i had agreed to pay in monthly payments then my accounts was switched to ovo engergy by sse during that time i setup the installment plan and paid some money to sse but when they transfer my debt to ovo energy the ovo they were taking the money on monthly basis from me and put my name on ccj which i never know until i saw it last week the amount is reflecting almost 3k but now my actual balance is almost 450pound during that time i never missed a single payment to ovo energy it was going on through direct debit when i spoke with ovo they said they never put me on any debt collector nor ccj but ccj is showing ovo account i dont know how to resolve it because its effecting me now i never had any issues with my payment since i agreed payment plan anyone can give me any idea how to write off this ccj

Hi @farhan.cnm1 ,

Generally, you’ll want to call 0800 069 9831 for this one - the Collections Team is best placed to advise on that.

Hi @farhan.cnm1,

I’m sorry to hear this. I’m afraid we’re limited in how we can help here as we don’t have access to your account via the forum. 

It seems our forum volunteer has given some good advice here already. 

This thread might also be helpful:

Please keep us updated.