Solved

Indra Charger with Solar- 'Solar matching mode' what does this mean?

• 16 February 2024
  • 10 replies

Badge +1

Hi

I just recently had an Indra charger installed by Ovo.

I have Solar PV.

I have enabled solar on the Indra Web App.

There is now an option called ‘Solar Matching Mode’

I assume i need to tick this to allow my car to be charged by Solar.

I have a concern about the sentance in the FAQ ‘Once charging from Solar begins, we wont stop until your car is full, even if that means topping up from the grid during peak times’

So i assume that means if not enough solar energy it will switch to grid.  But this would be like pressing boost wont it?  So i will be charged at full rate, not the Charge Anytime rate?

If thats the case i will leave this unticked, can anyone confirm?

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 16 February 2024, 14:58

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

From the Indra manual 

If that is of use? I’ve seen others say that it stops below 1.4kw and some say because it’s started under CA then grid draw is at CA levels .. but perhaps someone can confirm for you. 
There is also a note about compatibility mode

Badge +1

Thanks but not really, so if it drops below 1.4kw it will switch to grid, i understand that, but im concerned this would switch to grid at normall tariff rate and not CA rate?

Userlevel 6

Hey @neil0129 

Have you reached out to the team about this?

You can contact the team directly via email at chargeanytime@ovo.com with any further queries about anything related to Charge Anytime. They’ll be able to advise specifically if you provide them a little information about your home setup. 

You can find the full FAQ’s page below:

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-faqs

Userlevel 7

@neil0129 did you find out about this import rate?

Badge +1

Nobody has got backto me yet.

Have left setting offf for now, not much sun around at the moment anyway haha

Userlevel 7

I’ll ask the team internally and see what advice they can offer @neil0129 😊

Badge +1

ok, thank you

Userlevel 7

Hey @neil0129,

I got a response from the team:

You can use Charge Anytime with your Indra charger but only using the Indra/Kaluza Web Portal (Indra also have their own standalone app that is not compatible with Charge Anytime yet).  If you''re using the web portal then yes, you can do Solar Matching to prefer your Solar when generating and Charge Anytime when your car draws from the grid. Provided you have a scheduled Ready By time set it would be charging at Charge Anytime rates. You are correct though it would charge until your battery is full, or the Max Charge level you've set, which could drain your battery first before charging from the  grid so bear this in mind. It may be worth plugging in or unplugging your car depending on the weather or how much battery charge you're trying to retain.

Badge +1

ok, thank you for getting back to me.

yes i do use the web portal and set “Ready By Time”.

all working well, after a few early on comms issues, seems to have settled down.

i had left “Solar Matching Mode” turned off as i wasnt sure it would revert to CA if not enough solar power, but from your answer it seems like it would, so thank you.

Userlevel 7

No problem, pop back any time if you have any other questions and we’ll do our best to help 😊