Skip to main content
Solved

EV Cars Bank Miles

Hi

I am an OVO customer and have just ordered my 1st EV.

I have been advised about OVO Beyond and that you can bank 100 miles a month.

What isn’t explained is, exactly how does this work or get calculated? How do you bank and claim the miles?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

Read all about the scheme here. You can read an introduction to it here: https://company.ovo.com/85-of-public-want-to-buy-an-electric-car-by-2030-despite-delayed-fossil-fuel-car-ban/

Badge

Thanks for reply.

It states :

Anytime rate at the time you redeem your free miles up to a maximum redemption value of 14p/kWh. The 100 free miles a month or 2,400 free miles over 24 months  is calculated based on the assumption that the average electric vehicle will require 1 kWh of charge for a distance of 4 miles. 

So by my reckoning, that means you receive 25kWh credit per month which equates to £1.75 at 7p/kWh or £3.50 based on upto 14p/kWh.

is my interpretation correct?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@TheHollywoodStroller & @Firedog 

I had communication that the free 100 miles beyond add on had ceased about a month ago.

Maybe they missed a few remaining links of this previous offer.

Tom…

As a Beyond customer, you're currently getting free EV miles every month with Charge Anytime. This offer has now ended, which means you won't receive credit from next month onwards. We're sorry about this.

You can still smart charge your EV for under 2p a mile¹

Although the offer has come to an end, you'll still be able to smart charge your EV at a lower rate of 7p per kWh. Anytime you like, day or night. This could save you up to £440 a year² when you smart charge your EV at home with Charge Anytime.

Unlock more exclusive rewards with Beyond

Whether it's home energy insights or discounts on tech, there are lots of other ways Beyond can help you save today for a greener tomorrow. To check the latest and greatest offers, head to the updated OVO app.

Badge

Thanks TomThumb appreciated. 

It seems OVO's website is out of date then. All this is doing is forcing me to look at a more cost efficient provider. A hassle I could do without 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thabks again

THS

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, it might be accurate. Leave this with me - I’m checking.

Tom might be thinking of an old offer but I can double check to be sure

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Confirmed - it’s active. The 100 miles thing Tom was thinking of relates to a previous version that was unrelated. That one is gone but the one being asked about in this thread is the current version.

You should be able to set it up via the app. The idea is you can bank 100 miles a month prior to setting up Charge Anytime and then get them credited to your account later. Do it now and you should at least score something from it.

Badge

Many thanks again.

So back to the point... is my assumption correct that it's worth about £1.75 a month and no more the £3.50

Thanks again. 

THS

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Pretty much yes - but this would be on top of the discounted rates for EV Charging so in an (admittedly pretty complicated way) makes for a 100% discount off of standard rates.

Badge

Thanks for confirming. I can't help but feel that Octopus' offering is better due to the overnight tariff for all things electric though. 

Decisions Decisions decisions...!

Cheers

THS

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

My Bad

Apologies for any confusion caused from my part.🙁

I only got my Bev the middle of May, just as the offer changed.

From what I see now, my free100 mile beyond offer ceased in May, literally just after I signed up, as ovo revamped the criteria 

The new offer from beyond has just removed active charge anytime customers from receiving the free 100 miles a month & has in all essence past this offer over to customers who don’t drive with electric (albeit atm)

Tom…

Badge

Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

The new offer from beyond has just removed active charge anytime customers from receiving the free 100 miles a month & has in all essence past this offer over to customers who don’t drive with electric (albeit atm)

Yep, that’s right. I hadn’t noticed this offer in amongst all the other guff in the revamped app, but I looked last night and signed up, even though I have no current plans to get an EV. Who knows what might change in the next five years? 

I hope @TheHollywoodStroller  realizes that he has to save up for two years to get the full whack. Since he’s already made his decision, it looks as though he’s not really in the target population for this scheme.